MVD Surgery -- Done!

I don't post very often (I think I might be known as a lurker), but wanted to let everyone know how my MVD surgery went. Both my Neurologist and Neurosurgeon assured me that I had the classic Type 1 Trigeminal Neuralgia, and they could actually see on my MRI the large artery sitting against the nerve.

So on January 23rd, I had the surgery. Since narcotics (opioids) and I don't get along, the pain and nausea were horrible (4 days in intensive care). BUT I have had zero zaps since then. The surgeon said the nerve was actually sandwiched between an artery and a vein.

I am home now and recovering well. At this point, I don't know if I would attempt to do it again should the TN return, simply because of the difficulties I have with pain meds, but I am EXTREMELY pleased with the results.

Great! Remember to rest a few more days and most importantly - it takes a year for the nerves to settle so breaktrhu pain is possible - I hope they told you that.

Keep Posting when you feel better

So glad u r better! Isn’t there anything to help with pain med side effects for nausea etc? Phenegran and others ?

They were giving me dilaudid with phenergan. I survived, but it was an experience I don't care to relive!

Daryla said:

So glad u r better! Isn't there anything to help with pain med side effects for nausea etc? Phenegran and others ?

I don't have issues tolerating pain meds, but I was on dilaudid and phenergan as well after my MVD in Nov and it doesn't make you feel good at all. I can't imagine how it was for you. I'm sorry it was difficult but I'm glad the pain is gone. Yay!

Take it easy and give yourself time to recover. It took me a good month to feel good enough to go out for short visits with my family.

Cyndi,

So happy for you. I'm one of those people who also get sick on narcotic pain meds so I switched to Ibuprofen as soon as I got home. Got relief for the surgery pain with no nausea or dizziness. Forturnately I no longer had any TN pain and was able to put those other meds behind me. Hope you continue to have a great recovery.