First visit to Neuro soon

I am apprehensive on visiting a new doctor...anything words of advice?

you should write down a list of questions or concerns now so when you get in there you check off each one. Further, if you have a log of your pain, when? where? triggers? aching? searing? etc bring it as often you will only talk about the pain you are currently experiencing as opposed to the history

Thanks Albee - I had started a 'vague' pain log, went back and wrote in the past 5 days, as these days have been fairly rotten...easy to get them filled in. ...so true about not taking time to actually talk to ya...with it written, they will have a copy of the facts! Hope you are doing well!

I agree with Albee and would add that I always make a copy of the list, one for you and one for the doctor. For me it seems to make the appointment to go better and get my questions asked and answered clearer. Also if you can take someone in with you and take notes for future reference. I always find another person can hear things I miss and ask questions I don't think about. Anyway that's what works for me.

Scott

Also if you don't understand the answer, tell them and have them try to explain it where you do understand.

Scott

Thank you Scott! My husband has already thought of questions and it would be a good idea to have him or someone go with me... my memory these days, well...

My advice if you are talking to neurologist or neurosurgeon -- if they are not very experienced in TN, if they don't spend enough time with you, or if you simply have a gut feeling about them that you don't like

get another one

you are the customer !

Keep Posting here

The following is clipped from a section of our Face Pain Info tab in the menu above. This might serve as a cross-check on the list of questions your husband has already compiled, Cris...

Although your relationship with a doctor begins with recommendations you receive on his or her competence, it thereafter rapidly evolves after you first meet the doctor in his or her office. In such a first meeting, it is wise to regard the process as an interview, with the doctor as a job applicant. You're hiring professional help to sort out a nasty, terrifying, and complicated set of problems. You wouldn't hire a kindergarten teacher to instruct a University class in graduate physics, would you? So why would you hire an out-of-date or inappropriately trained general practitioner to deliver sophisticated diagnostic advice and a treatment plan? There are lots of things you need to know. Among those things are the following:

• Who trained you and how long ago? Have you had (or have you taught) recent training in a hospital setting? Continuing education? May I read your Curriculum Vitae? In what local hospitals are you accredited?
  • How many facial pain patients do you see in an average month? Of these, how many are Trigeminal Neuralgia patients?

• For someone with my reported medical issues, what steps will you take to confirm a diagnosis and evaluate me as an individual? How can I help you?

• Do you encourage patients to keep and share with you a pain journal? Will you use patterns of pain reported in journals as an input to my pain management plan?

• If I am later having a pain crisis or severe breakthrough pain, will you be available for telephone consultation? Will I be able to talk to a triage nurse if you are engaged with other patients?
  • [for neurosurgery] Which surgery (or surgeries) do you do most often for this kind of pain -- and how often do you do such procedures (a few times per year is not enough)?

• [for neurosurgery] Based on what you know about me, am I a good candidate for the treatments you most often provide? Explain why or why not. Do you have literature I can read?

• [for neurosurgery] Describe the procedure briefly. What equipment will you use? Who will assist you? How much will this surgery cost before and after insurance?

• [for neurosurgery] What is the likelihood this surgery will relieve my pain completely? Partially? For how long? How do you know? Can you refer me to on-line literature that confirms these statistics?

• [for neurosurgery] What are the possible side effects of surgery, and for someone like me how often do they occur?
  • How will you follow the outcomes of my particular case over the next five years?
  • I intend to be an active and participating member of my own medical treatment team. Are you comfortable with my participation? Are you willing to take time to explain to me your recommendations or to hear my concerns?

Not all physicians will answer these questions thoroughly or fully. Their time is limited, and some will not be inclined to accept cross-examination. The latter sort of doctor probably shouldn't be in practice, but that's a judgment you don't need to share with them. You need only to look for a better doctor if you feel you're not being heard or respected.

Obviously, nobody likes to be put "on the spot" or to have his or her competence questioned. Thus your questions should be asked in a respectful tone. And there are fair questions that work in the other direction as well: "What will you expect from me as your patient, and how can I help you make best use of your professional time on my behalf?" The point of the exercise is to establish a relationship with your doctor that is characterized by mutuality and mutual respect, and sustained by mutual work and clear communications.

For further information and thoughts on this subject, we recommend that you do an Internet search on the term "Interviewing Your Doctor."

================

Regards, Red

cris, you have some great advice here. I always take as described by everyone here, a shopping list, as my husband calls it. It does help, as we often feel a bit overwhelmed when we try to remember everything. All the best and let us know how the visit goes.

Most of all, Cris, bring in a peaceful heart and mind to meet with your Neuro. In my initial visits. I should have taken this advice but I was stressed because the idea that having a disease that would not kill me and would keep me partially paralyzed, when it was acting up, presented an overwhelming view of my immediate future. This really hurt emotionally because I was finally experiencing things I had only dreamed about (ie. a loving husband, children, and a thriving business doing my favorite thing in the world…art!). Trying to accept this problem was a hard pill to swallow, so bringing these thoughts along with my list of questions in to see the doc was a bit stressful. And, subsequent visits were also stressful, as I worked through one med after another trying to decide which "zombie" I could live with. Once I realized that I did not have to carry this burden… I laid it down and went to the appointments with anticipation and a heart looking for a way to be successful in all areas of my life despite the obstacle of TN.

Praying for you!

LyndaS

God bless you LyndaS!! I have been so emotional for the past 2 days...guess because been a very painful last 6 days. With the stress of knowing my GP couldn't do more and his saying he wanted to send me to a total stranger has been very overwhelming. I can just do nothing and feel like busting...really don't need to have that frame of mind when I see the new doc and REALLY didn't think of this til you said it...so THANK YOU so very much!

LyndaS said:

Most of all, Cris, bring in a peaceful heart and mind to meet with your Neuro. In my initial visits. I should have taken this advice but I was stressed because the idea that having a disease that would not kill me and would keep me partially paralyzed, when it was acting up, presented an overwhelming view of my immediate future. This really hurt emotionally because I was finally experiencing things I had only dreamed about (ie. a loving husband, children, and a thriving business doing my favorite thing in the world…art!). Trying to accept this problem was a hard pill to swallow, so bringing these thoughts along with my list of questions in to see the doc was a bit stressful. And, subsequent visits were also stressful, as I worked through one med after another trying to decide which "zombie" I could live with. Once I realized that I did not have to carry this burden… I laid it down and went to the appointments with anticipation and a heart looking for a way to be successful in all areas of my life despite the obstacle of TN.

Praying for you!

LyndaS

Dude! I agree! I asked my GP is he knew this neurologist...he said he did and trusted her; but I still wasn't sure. Before I made the appointment - WHICH WAS SET FOR APRIL 30!!!!! - I asked the Neuro nurse if she was familiar with TN. She confirmed that this Neuro doc had seen patients with TN and knew about it fairly well... we'll see. My GP told me to call him if the appoint was REALLY far out, his words "you need to be seen now, so call me and I'll talk to her...". We'll see how soon after he talks to the Neuro office I get in. Uggh. Thanks for the advice!

Kc Dancer Kc said:

My advice if you are talking to neurologist or neurosurgeon -- if they are not very experienced in TN, if they don't spend enough time with you, or if you simply have a gut feeling about them that you don't like

get another one

you are the customer !

Keep Posting here

thanks Jackie! I will!!

Jackie said:

cris, you have some great advice here. I always take as described by everyone here, a shopping list, as my husband calls it. It does help, as we often feel a bit overwhelmed when we try to remember everything. All the best and let us know how the visit goes.

Thanks so much Red! I appreciate your showing me this article and information! I truly would have not thought of MOST of these questions / discussion topics. You are truly a wealth of info bud! :)

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

The following is clipped from a section of our Face Pain Info tab in the menu above. This might serve as a cross-check on the list of questions your husband has already compiled, Cris...

Although your relationship with a doctor begins with recommendations you receive on his or her competence, it thereafter rapidly evolves after you first meet the doctor in his or her office. In such a first meeting, it is wise to regard the process as an interview, with the doctor as a job applicant. You're hiring professional help to sort out a nasty, terrifying, and complicated set of problems. You wouldn't hire a kindergarten teacher to instruct a University class in graduate physics, would you? So why would you hire an out-of-date or inappropriately trained general practitioner to deliver sophisticated diagnostic advice and a treatment plan? There are lots of things you need to know. Among those things are the following:

• Who trained you and how long ago? Have you had (or have you taught) recent training in a hospital setting? Continuing education? May I read your Curriculum Vitae? In what local hospitals are you accredited?
  • How many facial pain patients do you see in an average month? Of these, how many are Trigeminal Neuralgia patients?

• For someone with my reported medical issues, what steps will you take to confirm a diagnosis and evaluate me as an individual? How can I help you?

• Do you encourage patients to keep and share with you a pain journal? Will you use patterns of pain reported in journals as an input to my pain management plan?

• If I am later having a pain crisis or severe breakthrough pain, will you be available for telephone consultation? Will I be able to talk to a triage nurse if you are engaged with other patients?
  • [for neurosurgery] Which surgery (or surgeries) do you do most often for this kind of pain -- and how often do you do such procedures (a few times per year is not enough)?

• [for neurosurgery] Based on what you know about me, am I a good candidate for the treatments you most often provide? Explain why or why not. Do you have literature I can read?

• [for neurosurgery] Describe the procedure briefly. What equipment will you use? Who will assist you? How much will this surgery cost before and after insurance?

• [for neurosurgery] What is the likelihood this surgery will relieve my pain completely? Partially? For how long? How do you know? Can you refer me to on-line literature that confirms these statistics?

• [for neurosurgery] What are the possible side effects of surgery, and for someone like me how often do they occur?
  • How will you follow the outcomes of my particular case over the next five years?
  • I intend to be an active and participating member of my own medical treatment team. Are you comfortable with my participation? Are you willing to take time to explain to me your recommendations or to hear my concerns?

Not all physicians will answer these questions thoroughly or fully. Their time is limited, and some will not be inclined to accept cross-examination. The latter sort of doctor probably shouldn't be in practice, but that's a judgment you don't need to share with them. You need only to look for a better doctor if you feel you're not being heard or respected.

Obviously, nobody likes to be put "on the spot" or to have his or her competence questioned. Thus your questions should be asked in a respectful tone. And there are fair questions that work in the other direction as well: "What will you expect from me as your patient, and how can I help you make best use of your professional time on my behalf?" The point of the exercise is to establish a relationship with your doctor that is characterized by mutuality and mutual respect, and sustained by mutual work and clear communications.

For further information and thoughts on this subject, we recommend that you do an Internet search on the term "Interviewing Your Doctor."

================

Regards, Red