Seeing a neurologist for the 1st time

I’m finally getting to see a neurologist but I’m not sure how to approach this. Any suggestions to what I should ask or say to make this a meaningful and productive appointment would be appreciated.

Hi Pierre,

I’m glad you’re finally getting in to see a neuro!!

My best advice is to let the neuro lead the appointment…

Other than that it would be good to ask about his/her experience with TN, meaning “do you have other patients with TN?” "Do you know of any local support groups?"

Most importantly if he/she will be managing your meds ask if he/she can be reached if you are in a pain crisis. OR…

Also ask for a pain crisis plan. For example…

If you’re on 600mg Tegretol and your pain increases, how should You increase your med to avoid waiting for an appointment and suffering needlessly? Your neuro should be able to advise you on how to increase in case you need it. Ask for him/her to write it down so you can keep it somewhere handy should the need arise.

Some neuros prescribe breakthrough pain meds instead of increasing your existing med, ask their advice or thoughts on that.

Hope you find a supportive neurologist!!

Good luck, let us know how it goes…

Mimi :slight_smile:

Thats great news Pierre and good luck. I second Mimi's comments and will just add that you may want to write down all of your questions so you do not leave anything out.

Wow thanks Mimi and Ed. That’s great advice and lots that I hadn’t thought of. Your experience in dealing with neurologists is a great Help to me.

So the appointment went well. He’s changed my dose to 400mg tegratol and 450 mg lyrica, he’s sending a list of other drugs to try to my gp making an appointment for an mri and another with a neurosurgeon. He’s retiring later this year which is sad to me because I’d never seen a neurologist before and he was so nice I’d hoped he’d be my go to guy regarding TN but sadly no.