First Neurology App

Im calling for some advice please!!!

I have my first Neuro app next week and I was just wondering what are the things that I should be asking and highlighting about my case.... What should I be saying?

Cleo is right.Also,If you can take someone with you that is familiar with your illness and symptoms it would be great.I was always afraid i wouldn't be able to speak (pain) or recall what was said (meds).My wife always said i didn't need her there,but i was very glad she was.If you have your MRI and other records i would take them and write down all the meds you are taking if you need to.Make notes of things you may want to ask about ahead of time.A good neuro will know how to proceed even if you do nothing but show up,don't worry.Best to you! Don

Thanks both. I just don’t want to get side lined or fobbed off. My mum is coming with me!

If you can't take someone with you like Don suggests, bring a list of things you want to discuss. I find it is easy to forget all the things you want to discuss with the Dr, and a list helps. The most important thing to remember when going to the neurologist is to be an advocate for yourself. Don't downplay your pain because you are shy or don't know how to put it. The more direct you are the easier it is for the doctor to diagnose and help you. If you think your pain is a 10, say so. Don't say it is lower because you are comparing it to what someone in an imaginary worse situation might be at (did that make sense). I did that at first, and the Dr. didn't take me seriously enough, and I ended up in agony for too long! I personally took in a basic drawing of my face and I colored in the areas where I had pain. Make a list of any pain triggers - wind? Eating? Brushing your teeth? Talking? I personally don't have a trigger, so it is ok if you don't either. The Dr. will most likely ask you when this all started, so be prepared to describe the progression. That is all I can think of. Best of luck!!

Thanks leeters

You can print off a McGill Pain Scale and fill out the easy chart.
And show doc. Search the web for one.

Put on your list if there is a topical med. than you can use for help…

Like EMLA cream, ketamine , or lidocaine to put on face for pain relief.

Let us know!

Chess kc I will let u no.

I meant cheers!!!

Oh Cool....I thought it was another British saying i was out of the loop on...Like Fobbed off ! Although that one is pretty easy to figure out...( : Sorry Helen,just having fun...Have a great less pain day! Don

Helen said:

I meant cheers!!!!

Are you seeing a neurologist or a surgeon?

Here is a good link to get you stated.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trigeminal-neuralgia/DS00446/DSECTION=preparing-for-your-appointment

also here is a good video to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syW5NUDmBXc

You cheeky thing Don!!!! Haha

Its a neurologist Brunswick, thanks for advice x