Facial Swelling

Has anyone experienced swelling on the side of the face affected by TN. My left side of the face especially the jaw swells up whenever I am having a bad pain episode. My neuro acted surprised when I mentioned it. He thinks maybe the swelling was caused by medication and not TN. I cannot eat, brush teeth on that side or even wash my face. Need to hear if anyone else experiences swelling on affected side.

put swelling or swollen in the search box - there have been a few on here

My daughter has had swelling in the face on the same side as her TN and especially in the jaw . I spoke with her neurosurgeon at her last appointment and he said he had never heard of it. He had thought maybe it was her wisdom teeth starting to cause her problems. She has had the swelling before and after her mvd surgery.

I have experienced this too.

Thanks Sandra. I read other older comments with others who have experienced it also. Mine is especially in the jaw area.

Yes I get swelling on my right cheek not only that but my entire right side feels tight. My cheek was so swollen it pushed in on the inside and I was unable to close my teeth down all the way. It at times gets so annoying and Im sure people stare at me cuz when it happens I cant help but to scrunch that side of my face to try and make it feel better. I am currently not taking any medications due to the reactions I had to them so Im trying to continue to cope on my own with out drugs. I can understand why your Doctor would think that way, it is such a hard disorder for many MD's due to the fact that most everyone has different symptoms and still the cause is really unknown. You are not alone in this!

Greetings Blessed4610,

I get swelling on my tn side from my eye down to my jaw. I believe it is caused by the tn and not the meds as if it was caused by meds it should be on both sides and not just the affected area. I have my lymph nodes drained on that side and it takes the swelling down.

Scott

Thanks for the info SCOTT

Hey,
I have swelling on my TN side also,like Scott from my eyes to my jaw, so much so my Neurologist has given me anti inflametory meds to help!!
I think it is due to the bad flare ups and the burning because the inside of my mouth and tonge are also swollen!! It sucks… The pain is bad enough without looking like a freak…

Jackie :slight_smile:

I have ALWAYS had swelling on the affected side. I work in an hospital and nurses and physicians would make note of it while I was waiting for my dx for TN. So interesting what each physician does and does not identify with TN.

swelling was my first symptom, which is one reason it took so long to get the TN diagnosis. I am a nurse, & even asking physician and NUrse Practitioner friends, no one seems to know why this happens.

Hi Scott,

I'm sure you got asked this before, but who could I see about the lymph nodes drainage...a massage therapist or a trained doctor? It sounds that it could help with the swelling. Does it do anything about the pain also? Thank you,

Oldriska

Scott said:

Greetings Blessed4610,

I get swelling on my tn side from my eye down to my jaw. I believe it is caused by the tn and not the meds as if it was caused by meds it should be on both sides and not just the affected area. I have my lymph nodes drained on that side and it takes the swelling down.

Scott

Greetings Oldriska,

I think it is more of a massage therapist line of work rather than a doctor. In this country there is an association website that lists therapist and their level of training ad area they are from. For me it does help with the pain. I believe as the swelling is more the more pressure is put on the nerves. I usually have my wife drain mine but I can drain them myself

You should try to find out someone with the most training in your area. Maybe they could train you or someone close to you how to drain yours if your lymph nodes do need draining. Good luck

Scott

Oldriska said:

Hi Scott,

I'm sure you got asked this before, but who could I see about the lymph nodes drainage...a massage therapist or a trained doctor? It sounds that it could help with the swelling. Does it do anything about the pain also? Thank you,

Oldriska

Scott said:

Greetings Blessed4610,

Scott

Hi Blessed I am happy you talked about your swelling. My left side of my face is also swollen and my lower lip. My neuro also acted surprised and also thought the swelliing was not related to TN. Same here, cannot eat or brush teeth etc. I go for gamma knife on Tues 9-25-12 will let you know how it went. Norby

Norby wishing you much success in your surgery. Be blessed.

I also have throat and eating and major dental issues. I have learned the one person blender with a straw is my friend. anything smoothie texture is my friend..sip and swallow is the key for me...And creamy things go down easier with yougarts. I have a baby spoon and seem to finish off a large carton of flavored yougart a day....some sweet and many with added proteins and health food powders..I took time to visit my neighborhood health food store. They assisted me in many ways. I so can appreciate your issues. Stay strong and feel free to write in anytime...as I check my site many times a day...Blessings...and try to meet a new person every day...on line or in the pharmacy or doctors line....lol that also brightens a day...Thinking of you now as I make my morning smoothie...

So much for a social l ife, right? lol

Blessed4610 said:

Norby wishing you much success in your surgery. Be blessed.

ps I also made up a swish and swallow concocktion...of lidocaine and Phillips milk of mag.

it numbs me up so I can even enjoy ice on some days with my green teas etc...the ocology doctor liked the idea so much they now offer it to many patients with our issues...it works well and also does not upset the stomach as those problems can add up with us not eating right...

Many prescriptions can be made into liquids and flavored which can help with the rough textures that we swallow.

Blessings...

Yep, I often look like a chipmunk on the left side of my face. I also have problems brushing my teeth some days and I definitely can't chew on the left side of my mouth - not that I have any teeth there! Allextracteedwhen searching for the cause of the pain.

All the best

I can so relate...today my lips are puffed up and have that stinging tingle to them...which makes the nose feel funny...like after novacain for dental work...urgh...not fun at all

Yes it changed the left side of my face too. I did not really notice until I saw pictures. I had an atypical case- nothing really triggered pain.- it just happened. I had the Glycerin Rhizotmy 2 weeks ago and so far so good. I am still a little swollen, numb, and suffer from dry eye. I suffered for 7 years .