TN and Facial Swelling? Scared

I noticed about 2 days ago that my chin in REALLY swollen. Ive been getting severe shocks and stabbing pain on the bottom of my jaw,( both sides now, after i had a root canal on my right last week up top of my mouth) but this is the first time Ive noticed swelling. I had a dentist appt maybe 2 days before the swelling started, but they worked on the top of my mouth, not the bottom and it went well because of my amitriptyline i take. I immediately called my dentist and she said it sounded like an allergic reaction to a material or numbing agent, which my family thought as well. My DR is on Vacation of coarse right now when i need her! ahh haha so i took the benadryl and it had no affect so now i know its not an allergic reaction. Im waiting until my doc comes back to ask her whats going on because I AM SCARED. My face looks DEFORMED. Does anyone else have this or have experienced this in dealing with TN? And if so does anyone know what i can do to minimize the swelling? Thanks, really scared right now so any info will def help me. I don know if i should go to the hospital because the pain and swelling or if this is just something normal.

Hi Jen,

There are others on here who experience the same facial swelling you described (I'm one of them). I think there's even a recent post by one of the members about the exact same subject (you should be able to find it by putting "swelling" or "facial swelling" into the search box at the top of the page). My jaw also looks deformed but it's only me and my masseur and physio who see it and can actually feel the swelling when they touch my face. I've learnt how to massage the sore spots (musles that contract as a result of the hyperactivity of the nerve) and it helps. Acupucture also takes the swelling down temporarily. If you can touch your face and do a gentle auto-massage I think you'd benefit from it, but of course some people are not able to do that because of trigger points.

Take care,

Oldriska

Thought you might wish to read this also: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111207142351AACwoOA

Seems most dentists treat with at least two rounds of antibiotics if there is excessive swelling.

thank you everyone. i talked to my Doctor today. I need to watch my face closely and wait untill wed morning and call her then. Or if it becomes worse before then. She said some people do swell from TN, and it could be an infection so she wants to see what happens over the next few days. Thanks for all your help

Hi Jen, I too have had some slight swelling on my cheek, jawbone area.
Mine was just from TN, I did go to my dentist just to be sure I didn’t have an infection or a tooth issue. It’s hard to tell somedays…
Good luck! Mimi