Tinnitus

Wondering if anyone has experienced sudden onset of tinnitus (ringing in the ears)? I have recurrent TN2 after 2 successful MVD procedures ( 9 years relief and then 9 months relief) and then a failed radiosurgery. My pain is in the left V1 and V2 distributions and ranges from stabbing eye pain; burning on the roof of my mouth; aching upper teeth; & hot, shooting pain in one particular non-existent tooth; accompanied by constant dull background pain. But I have never had ringing in my ears before and it is driving me crazy. And it is in both ears.

Yes, I have tinnitus, but so far very mild.

Glad to know I am not alone. Did it start with your initial symptoms or afterwards? Have you found anything to relieve it. It is literally driving me crazy......as if the torture from the pain was not enough to bear.

Maureen said:

Yes! I’ve got the ringing and also a fairly loud whooshing sound in the same side ear as my TN.

Does anything help?

okieInPain said:

Yes! I've got the ringing and also a fairly loud whooshing sound in the same side ear as my TN.

Same here with the ringing as well as a fairly loud whooshing sound on my TN side. Recently my hearing in my left ear goes out temporarily. It is usually for several minutes. Like I have a hearing aid in there and it turns off. Now, talking about it, I guess I should see an audiologist or someone, lol. We live with so much that I just figure it is something to put up with.

okieInPain said:

Yes! I've got the ringing and also a fairly loud whooshing sound in the same side ear as my TN.

Sorry, just now saw this. I think it started a few years afterwards. It is still very mild and can be masked by usual noise.

For awhile I took Lipo-Flavonoid plus at the suggestion of my MIL. It might have helped a bit. But.. Joe and Terry Graden (?) of the NPR show The Peoples' Pharmacy recently did a whole show on tinnitus, although I missed most of it. I think they talked about a physical adjustment that can be tried, by I guess, audiologist or maybe ENTs.

Not Again said:

Glad to know I am not alone. Did it start with your initial symptoms or afterwards? Have you found anything to relieve it. It is literally driving me crazy......as if the torture from the pain was not enough to bear.

Maureen said:

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look up that show from the People's Pharmacy. The tinnitus on top of poor pain control and depression is about to drive me over the edge :(

Maureen said:

Sorry, just now saw this. I think it started a few years afterwards. It is still very mild and can be masked by usual noise.

For awhile I took Lipo-Flavonoid plus at the suggestion of my MIL. It might have helped a bit. But.. Joe and Terry Graden (?) of the NPR show The Peoples' Pharmacy recently did a whole show on tinnitus, although I missed most of it. I think they talked about a physical adjustment that can be tried, by I guess, audiologist or maybe ENTs.

Not Again said:

Maureen said:

I also had MVD surgery ten months ago. It was a successful operation. Very thankful for the elimination of that awful facial pain. But it did have a side effect. Since the operation the ringing in my ears is 24/7 with no going away. Each month the ringing is getting a louder pitch😩. It is driving me crazy. In the earlier months I could only at best one hour of sleep. Now I can get the best three hours of sleep. Has anyone experience this same experience? Did you have a solution to this issue. Thanks Bob

I know the agony of tinnitus. I had it years before my bout with TN. However after my RF rhizotomy 3 months ago I am experiencing even louder noises and the occasional whooshing sound. I was told years ago there was no cure for the tinnitus. I hope to find the program mentioned. Right now I have enough dealing with anesthesia dolorosa. Thanks for your comments. They help me know I am not the only one. Good luck with finding relief.

1 Like

I found that withdrawal from antiseizure medication cause mine to be very loud which kept me from sleeping. After withdrawal it was a lot less if any.

Thanks Gloria for the support. I hope you will feel better soon.

Linda thanks for reply. I am off all meds completely for past seven months. Actually the Tinnitus is worse now. I have days where it fluctuates in pitch. It went from crickets to now smoke alarm pitch of a scale from 1 to 10 it is an 8. Just don’t know why this is happening? I am monitoring what I eat each day to see if there is a connection. One thing positive no more facial pain on right side with TN!
My sleeping solution is I have trained my brain to accept the Tinnitus to help me to now sleep at least several hours a night. Thanks for your support and listening to me… Bob

1 Like

I had my MVD June 13,2016. For the past month I’ve had pulsitile tinnitus, bad taste in my mouth and dizziness. MRI showed a csf leak into my mastoid bone. Neurosurgeon has to go back in same incision and seal with bone wax. Happy that problem is found but dreading another surgery.