Teeth are going all at once ! Dry mouth is AWFUL with these drugs

I’ve had TN2 for 3.5 yrs …Im on 3 meds that give me THE WORST dry mouth. My teeth going at a alarming rate …Did this happen to others ? I had horrible teeth until I was 28 and able to restore my smile…Now this!!!
indent preformatted text by 4 spaces
I’m so depressed right now :disappointed_relieved:

I can’t stop crying …How do you cope?

What drugs are you on? Maybe you can make some adjustments.

There are also numerous OTC treatments for dry mouth as that’s not an unusual side effect in general.

Biotene has a whole line of products and is available at drug stores in America. Colgate has some products as well. And ACT has a rinse. If you google “dry mouth” you’ll get pages of ideas and treatments.

Trileptal
Gabapentin
Baclafen

She just raised my Gabapentin up half a pill…We started increasing the other day. It’s gonna be a slloooow process …Going slowly is AWFUL when you’re pain is a 10 .

Biotene toothpaste didn’t help at all!! The mouthwash helps a little. I ordered some from my Dr I pray it works. Even chugging glasses of water doesn’t touch it. But maybe with 4 meds doing it it’s pretty impossible. I brush, floss and see my dentist ( a little to much thanks to TN).

Hi, I have the same problem, big time! I would recommend Xylimelts for Dry Mouth.
They are little circular discs which adhere to the inside of your mouth between teeth and cheek and last for hours, As I can’t tolerate mint or any strong substance in my mouth, the Mint-free version is perfect. Order from Amazon if you can’t find them at a drug specialty store. They were shipped by The SmileMedic. As a survivor of 15 years of Atypical pain, I can understand your angst; Many 10’s are followed by relief. So, keep positive! It’s good to have each other. Blessings, Joanne

1 Like

Have you tried chewing sugar free gum or sucking on sugar free candy/ Anything in your mouth to help stimulate your mouth. I suffered with dry mouth side effect many years ago and know how awful it can be, it was pre-ATN for me so I was able to chew gum all day long, that helped.

If you are in a lot of pain, it probably is not the time to try dropping drugs. But if you think one of the meds is not helping, you could think about dropping it in the future. Also know that your body will adjust more to the side effects over time.

I was on tricyclics such as amitryptiline for 35 years, so very familiar with dry mouth. To tell the truth, I really quit noticing it and it became the new normal. But not good for the teeth, so do what you can to keep your teeth healthy, both tooth care and diet.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as you! Have had TN type 2 for 15 years. As soon as I get one tooth fixed another breaks, it’s a never ending cycle. One dentist wanted me to go with dentures, I think he saw dollar signs because I didn’t have dental insurance, but I didn’t have the money for dentures either. Anyway, I ran from him and am now working with a great dentist. He gave me two rxs, one is a medication that stops the dry mouth and the other is a toothpaste that you don’t rinse after using. Both of those products really help a lot, you might want to check with your dentist about those rxs. It took 14 years before any doctor or dentist recommended those two rxs, and I’d like to know why??? Biotene and the other dry mouth products are useless and a waste of money.

Just FYI – no one researched dry mouth until the AIDS pandemic. The original meds used for AIDS caused such bad dry mouth people couldn’t swallow liquids, it “stuck” in the mouth.

So, Pdcali50 odds are there wasn’t a good Rx available when you started the nightmare of dry mouth.

Wadi2u, maybe speak to your regular doctor about dry mouth prescriptions. These include pilocarpine (Salagen) or cevimeline (Evoxac) both of these stimulate saliva production. I don’t know how easy they are to get in terms of doctors prescribing them and I don’t know insurance coverage (USA). You may want to call your insurance first and see if you need prior auth or something. Make sure you’ve tried OTC products and failed, if you need a prior auth that’s going to be one of the first questions – what else has the patient attempted? Has the patient used OTC?