Physical Therapy--Mackenzie Method?

I am wondering if people with TN have found this helpful. I have been in Physical Therapy for two months now. I think I have been successful sometimes at preventing the pain from flaring into my face. But not all the time. I am wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Never tried it. What is the Mackenzie method? Do you take meds too?

I just googled it -- and found it seemingly useful for neck and back pain --- not sure how this translates to face relief....

can you be more specific on what you are working on? And what types of exercises that might be helping?

I have had a combination of migraines and face pain. After acupuncture increased my migraines, my neurologist sent me to a Physical Therapist who specializes in the Mackenzie approach. Developed by Robin Mackenzie who wrote "Treat your own neck," the Mackenzie approach says that "the main functions of the cervical spine are to support the head, allow it to move in many directions and adjust its position in fine degrees in order to assist the workings of the sensors and to provide a protected passageway for the bundle of nerves that extends from the brain to the sacrum, the tail end of the spine." When the neck, or upper back is a bit out of whack, nerves can get snagged. There can be scar tissue that can also interfere with pathways. The approach to physical therapy is to try to get the pain that has radiated out from the source of the problem to come back to center, centralization. This is how I understand and of course a physical therapist would explain it much better.

I am still trying to figure out how much these exercises are responsible for my sense of successes. It is difficult to say because I have been on carbamazepine, topiramate and now, nortriptylin. All of these seemed to take care of the migraines. When I was on the first two meds I didn't experience much face pain, just a slight buzzing sensation. On nortriptylin I have been experiencing more face pain. But this has allowed me to experiment some with the physical therapy. There are times that I think I have interrupted the pain by using these exercises, especially if I catch it in the beginning. I have used the physical therapy for neck pain on the opposite side from my face pain during an acute episode and it worked within three days. However, the pain had not radiated through the trigeminal nerve. I asked my physical therapist why it is taking months with the face pain. She thinks it is because of the length of time of disturbance, now five months. She thinks my pain is from mechanical issues with my neck. My neurologist wants me to continue with the physical therapy.

The exercises themselves have built on each other over time. I have done exercises that first were an attempt to extend the upper spinal column. I had to experiment to find the exercise that worked well for me. I had increased pain with some that required standing up or sitting up. So I had to do the exercises lying down. It is hard to describe exactly what these are like without the pictures or my physical therapist leading me through them.

Does any of this make sense? I am wondering if someone else has had a neurologist recommend physical therapy?

i havn't but i've wanted to try it ....but unfortunately lost my job and insurance...so waiting to get disability and then im def gonna give it a try ..it sounds alot like what chiropractors told me when i was going it just takes time whether or not thats a ploy to keep getting your money im not sure...was ur headaches related to the tn?? because thats my biggest problem i can't seem to get rid of the unrelenting headache feeling like a migrane sometimes and i know its related i have type 2 though ..and when i was going to the chiropractor they did keep my headaches away and the burning which was nice but after 20 sessions i couldn't afford anymore and the symtoms all came flooding back in. Im on just nortriptyline 75 mg right now which has helped with alot of the frontal face pains but once in awhile i get that migraine and the back of my head still feels like someones beating me. its awful im bedridden when it happens. id like to hear more from ya keep us posted!!

Thank you so much Marie -

I was going to try to find a physical therapist this month,

I have had 7 cars hit me from behind in 30 years

- and the damage added up when the oral surgeon twisted my neck and gave me whiplash AND TN in 2010.....

so my neck has spondelosis/arthritis/bone spurs etc etc etc -- I'm only 50 - but my neck is 80!

I am reading the reviews on this book, and will probably purchase it!

I'm going to attempt to make my neck feel better with this info!

You really never know what you are going to get from these boards --- anyone have a homemade alfredo recipie?

LOL

Kc Dancer Kc,

Oooh--it sounds like you have been through so much pain. I am so sorry.

I hope you find some relief through physical therapy.

Please let me know of your experiences.

Can't help much with the alfredo ( ;

--Marie

Kc Dancer Kc said:

- and the damage added up when the oral surgeon twisted my neck and gave me whiplash AND TN in 2010.....

so my neck has spondelosis/arthritis/bone spurs etc etc etc -- I'm only 50 - but my neck is 80!

You really never know what you are going to get from these boards --- anyone have a homemade alfredo recipie?

LOL

Dear jstagrl29,

I am not entirely sure if my headaches are related to the TN. When I first had the off the chart zap there was no headache involved--just knock you to your knees right face pain. But, before getting the zap in August, I did not have migraines the way that I began to have them since. So, 100 percent don't know. But they both seem to be at least partly related to issues with my neck. I hope you can get back to what you found worked for you. I asked about a chiropractor somewhere here along the line of doctor visits. I was steered toward physical therapy instead.

It all is so mysterious to me. It certainly isn't clear.

I hope you do not have much longer to wait for disability.

--Marie

jstagrl29 said:

i havn't but i've wanted to try it ....but unfortunately lost my job and insurance...so waiting to get disability and then im def gonna give it a try ..it sounds alot like what chiropractors told me when i was going it just takes time whether or not thats a ploy to keep getting your money im not sure...was ur headaches related to the tn?? because thats my biggest problem i can't seem to get rid of the unrelenting headache feeling like a migrane sometimes and i know its related i have type 2 though ..and when i was going to the chiropractor they did keep my headaches away and the burning which was nice but after 20 sessions i couldn't afford anymore and the symtoms all came flooding back in. Im on just nortriptyline 75 mg right now which has helped with alot of the frontal face pains but once in awhile i get that migraine and the back of my head still feels like someones beating me. its awful im bedridden when it happens. id like to hear more from ya keep us posted!!

1/4 cup butter 1 cup heavy cream 1 glove garlic 1 1/2cups parmesan cheese melt butter low heat add cream and simmer for 5 min. then add garlic and parm cheese whisk quickly! i love alfredo sauce!! lol

Marie said:

Kc Dancer Kc,1

--Marie

Kc Dancer Kc said:

LOL

LOL! This is AWESOME! The TN and recipe board..........I love it!

jstagrl29 said:

1/4 cup butter 1 cup heavy cream 1 glove garlic 1 1/2cups parmesan cheese melt butter low heat add cream and simmer for 5 min. then add garlic and parm cheese whisk quickly! i love alfredo sauce!! lol

Marie said:

Kc Dancer Kc,1

--Marie

Kc Dancer Kc said:

LOL

I’m in physical therapy right now because of a car accident they do a lot of manipulation my neck to relieve pinched nerves and I really think it is helping. I’m going to look up McKenzie method I’m not sure if that’s what’s being done on me My physical therapist does crack my back he does find painfully areas along my neck and back and pushes really hard until I don’t feel pain . It really does hurt But afterwards I find relief from stress muscles and pinched nerves.

Hi Janice,

I think one of the differences between the Mackenzie method and regular PT is that the PT never touches you. The PT shows you how to manipulate your own body. It is very interesting. I am glad to know you are finding some relief.

Janice said:

I'm in physical therapy right now because of a car accident they do a lot of manipulation my neck to relieve pinched nerves and I really think it is helping. I'm going to look up McKenzie method I'm not sure if that's what's being done on me My physical therapist does crack my back he does find painfully areas along my neck and back and pushes really hard until I don't feel pain . It really does hurt But afterwards I find relief from stress muscles and pinched nerves.

Hi Donna,

The Mackenzie method is a form of physical therapy that involves the patient doing the manipulation of their own body, not the PT. The idea is to "centralize" the pain back to the vertebrae. I do take meds as well. I take nortriptylin--30 mg. Sumatriptan for migraines when they come. OTC meds like ibuprofen--800mg. Melatonin to help me sleep. I have been avoiding taking anything stronger because I want to see how far I can progress with the PT.

Donna Cook Turnage said:

Never tried it. What is the Mackenzie method? Do you take meds too?

I am always excited to hear of someone having success and especially using the Mckenzie method! I have posted here in the past about my experience so I won't bore you with the complicated story and try to keep it short. I went to a mckenzie therapist and in four weeks my horrible jaw pain was gone! I was off my trileptal and antidepressant after two weeks of therapy. The therapist I went to had never seen anyone with TN before but he was able to evaluate me and came up with one simple exercise. He said he would know in the first two appointments if he could help me and he didn't charge me 'til he knew. I have been so happy to have my life back. That was the end of November. I appreciate life so much more now. I want so badly to help anyone suffering with TN to know about this if by chance it might help them out of that deep dark hole that I feared I would never escape.

I however am still having ear pain and a tender painful place at the base of my skull. My therapist wasn't quite sure what to do and was just having me do more of the same exercise. They weren't helping and maybe even making the muscles in my neck tight so I quit going. When I have pain it is very mild I never even take anything for it. He was going to go to another level of training so I think I will go back over to him and see if he can help me with this last part. Has anyone else had the ear pain? I'm wondering if we were able to isolate and move the pain back but didn't quite get it all the way back to the source? Anyone familiar with Mckenzie have any ideas on this?

If anyone is interested, I also got an email yesterday from Dr. Turner, he is the physical therapist I saw initially but was quite far from where I live. He is doing a thing where you can have a Skype appointment with him (he mentions it in his youtube video also). He has more experience treating TN. I will do that if my guy can't figure it out. Dr. Turner has several videos on youtube that are very interesting and pretty much explain the whole thing. If anyone is interested let me know I can put a link on here.

I hope for relief in the near future for everyone with TN.

Shawna

I read about the MacKensie method. I am basically pain free from a Gamma Knife procedure about

4 years ago. My question is: Have these patients undergone a battery of CT scans and/or MRI procedures todetermine the assumed or defined the area of nerve involvement? I realize in certain nerve maladies the exact impingement cannot be ascertained; but, before any manipulation is attempted these observation should be attempted.

Marv