Dental work and TN- need advice!

Hello everyone, i know having tn def makes have dental work worse. I also know a lot of people dont need the dental work but there teeth hurt. I actually needed full mouth reconstruction and im down to my last few root canals...the TN is def getting worse...I need to know some opinions on what i should do. I need to have 2 more root canals because the cavities have reached the nerve. They usually do one tooth in 2 visits. Now they want to do both teeth in one visit and im going to tell my endo. i need the smallest amount of work done at a time and ide rather come back 4 times and have minor pain after a procedure then go through a full root canal or two and be in an attack for this long...any thoughts on that? My dr said there's no way to know whats going to trigger an attack until you experience it. This was before the oral surgery. Now that i know that any dental work can put me into an attack like this i want them to go as slow as they possibly can because i think that's the only thing that will make this tolerable while living with TN! Does anyone else agree? Or feel differently that i should do more work in one visit? Any comments, personal experiences, or ideas will def help...thank you all, i feel so much better now that i have people to support me! <3Jen

Whatever YOU are most comfortable with! You might get charged more - but this pain isn't something to gamble with!

You be the judge. You know what triggers it for you. Me.....I had some throbs of pain and thought it was dental related. Had a crown put on and it got MUCH worse! That's when the electrical shock pain started anytime I moved my mouth. He sent me to an endo & I had root canal and it was still there! After I went back to the endo and described the pain and burning, he said it sounded neurologic. So after a few more days of this, I went to my doc and she picked up on what it was right away and put me on the Tegretol. So far it has worked, but I have had to increase my dose. I am so grateful that she picked up on it right away, because I had been dealing with excrutiating pain for 2 weeks. And I look on here and see people that didn't get diagnosed for a YEAR and realize how lucky I was. Good luck to you!

your right, i am paying and i feel more comfortable doing a little at a time. thank you!!

Kc Dancer Kc said:

Whatever YOU are most comfortable with! You might get charged more - but this pain isn't something to gamble with!

I have the same thing, once they do any work it gets so much worse...and i went a year without knowing and my dr picked up on it the first time i made an appt with her...i dont know how others have lived with this for years either. When they first thought it was nerve related (my endo) he put me on neurontin and sent me to a neurologist (about 6 months ago) i got completely trashed from the Neurontin and had to keep increasing the dose until i diddnt know who i was and i was walking into walls. My internist is treating me now and she refuses to put me on an anti consultants because of my serious side effects, also took me 2and a half months to get off with horrible withdrawl so im stuck on Vicodin and percocet and my fear is im gonna need pain management soon because it keeps getting worse. It isn't enough to take away the pain, just makes it a little more tolerable. Thank you for sharing that story with me so i now dont feel so alone and can make a better decision for my root canals...im def gonna do a half at a time...i also need about 12 caps put on :( the last 2 that were put on gave me so much pain i blacked out. Novicane doesnt even work for me...i dont know what to do, well i guess i dont have a choice, or all the work i did will fail....good luck to you too! on a scale of 1 to ten what would your pain be before a dental procedure compared to after with 10 being the most pain?

Donna Cook Turnage said:

You be the judge. You know what triggers it for you. Me.....I had some throbs of pain and thought it was dental related. Had a crown put on and it got MUCH worse! That's when the electrical shock pain started anytime I moved my mouth. He sent me to an endo & I had root canal and it was still there! After I went back to the endo and described the pain and burning, he said it sounded neurologic. So after a few more days of this, I went to my doc and she picked up on what it was right away and put me on the Tegretol. So far it has worked, but I have had to increase my dose. I am so grateful that she picked up on it right away, because I had been dealing with excrutiating pain for 2 weeks. And I look on here and see people that didn't get diagnosed for a YEAR and realize how lucky I was. Good luck to you!