Botox injection works for me

I came across this website. Some discussions are quite helpful, so I decide to share my information here.
I got my TN from the wearing a invisalign in 2009. My dentist was not a orthodontist. Part of my teeth got too crowded and eventually injured the nerve. They prescribed antivirus medication for me, but it did not work. I have been in pain medication off and on ever since. The medication that work for me are Lyrica, nortriptyline and tramadol. Ice pack works, as well as back massage.
Most of my pain episodes last for a few month. last time it was over eight months during the pandemic. I work in Oral surgery. I saw doctors use Botox to treat TMJ. So I did a research and found a few articles online about Botox treatment for TN. Then I found a pain doctor who was willing to try out. First, he did lidocaine with steroid injection to the point. That last only two weeks. I returned to his office the second time. He administered 30 u on my cheek from my ear to my nose. In two weeks, I stopped medication. There was no more pain around that nerve. However, I felt headache. I took nortriptyline for 3-4 weeks. The headache was gone. Now It has been over four months after the injection. I only feel a little pain when I rub my forehead. Otherwise I am fine.
Botox is not covered not insurance. Migraine is. The doctor try to apply for insurance, but was not successful.

Hopefully this would be helpful for you.

Jen

1 Like

Hey Jen,
Welcome to Ben’s Friends
It’s great to hear that you’ve found your ‘Key’ or what has worked for you. I had a neurologist administer Botox in my face, neck and shoulders. Three treatments over a period of 9mths. But short of having a sexy, wrinkle free face, neck and shoulders :rofl: :wink: I didn’t get any great relief. For some it really can be a case of ‘trial and error’ to establish what works (and what doesn’t) for that individual person.

I’m in Australia and Botox is approved if used for ‘medical treatment’ for some conditions via our Medicare (Universal Healthcare) system, but not covered if used for cosmetic purposes. For cosmetic use sometimes a small amount of local anaesthetic is used in the area prior to treatment, when used medically the anaesthetic is not funded for and the Botox can sting when being administered. I was OK going in for a treatment but had a headache from hell immediately after, so much so that I needed a driver to take me home as it was not safe for me to drive.

Long may it last for you.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I have been suffering from atypical facial pain for 6 years followed by a wisdom tooth extraction and sinus surgery. I am on lyrica which works, but it gives me brain fog. I was wondering if Botox injections could help.

Hey Goldensan,
It was explained to me by a neurologist that if your pain is muscle related, muscle tension, then Botox may assist. Botox prevents the message from the nerve reaching the muscle, so the muscle doesn’t tense up. For some people this can be seen when they talk but their top lip doesn’t move, those muscles are not getting those messages.

For me, at the time, the theory was that my headaches were due to neck and shoulder muscle tension, hence the treatments. It was shown this was not the issue as the Botox did not assist, so I ceased the treatment. At the time I was having multiple dr’s appointments, ending with multiple diagnosis. To minimise differing diagnosis I went through a process of elimination. If a Dr suggested a treatment I tried it, if they recommended a medication I trialled it. This process cut out a lot of the pseudo diagnosis.

Lyrica was one of those meds I was trialled on and, for me, it was nasty. I was in a constant fog. Just horrible. The dr said to me "For some people it works and for some it just doesn’t…’ I’m in the ‘Doesn’t’ section.

Hi Merl,

Thank you for the information on how Botox works. That was very helpful.

I don’t think I’m a candidate for it. Lyrica helps control my pain from nerve damage. Its just that living with brain fog and short term memory loss is frustrating. I guess it’s better then being in constant pain.

Thanks again for your insight.

Goldensan

And I think that’s the balance that each person has to weigh up for themselves. Some days I’ll put up with a level of pain to get a task done, other days the symptoms are overwhelming from the moment I lift my head from the pillow. If I can, I try to minimise the meds, but there’s some days I simply can’t.
As I’ve said to others, we have to manage all of this for ourselves. If you find something that works for you then that’s what you use. This is not a ‘One-size-fits-all’ sort of scenario and what may be a miracle cure for one, maybe of no use to another.

It’s all about balance. During my last Drs. visit, I asked about lowering my the dose of lyrica to see if it helps with the side effects. My neurologist said I could try it, but the level of pain may increase. I have days with flare ups so for me it doesn’t seem worth the try. Thanks for giving me clarity with your response. We all have to weigh the risks and the benefits.

1 Like