Tongue numbness? EEk, Confused!

Has anyone had NUMBNESS associated with their TN? I know we are used to excruciating pain, but I am having an odd situation where I can't feel anything on both sides of my tongue. Is this a TN thing?? I keep burning my throat on food, and I realized today it is because my tongue isn't feeling any heat sensation, or anything at all. This has been going on for almost a month, as I badly burned my throat two days after my wedding on Dec. 10th on leftover wedding food. I wrote my neurologist, but as it is the weekend I thought I would post here and see what everyone here had to say.

-Confused LBHiker

Yes it is one of the great and wonderful symptoms.

It seems a bit odd that both sides of your tongue are numb. Are your gums numb as well?

I didn't even think to check my gums. Yes, in many places they are numb. I don't have any sensation. I am very worried now. Is this an MS thing?! My latest MRI is clean. I know we are not DRs on here. I am just thinking out loud. Hmmm. I find this very unsettling.

My tongue has been numb over the entire right side for ten years now, my gums as well plus my cheek. I have areas of numbness over the entire right side of my face along with the pain associated with TN.

The tip (about 1" / 2. 5cm, is numb and tingly. Acid foods make it sore. It’s weird,

Oh no, didn’t mean to scare you into a dire diagnosis of MS or anything like that. Just that if your TN is on one side, and it starts showing up on the entire tongue and gums as well, then something to keep track of. Usually the tongue issues are one- sided.

I’ve had an MVD and it has reduced my symptoms but I still can’t eat acidic foods or something too sweet or anything spicy. I can’t provoke the bad side…

Oh Bellalarke, I am clearly jumpy these days! I do have bilateral TN. I am currently having problems on the left side, but 8 years ago when I was first diagnosed it was due to problems on my right side. Through the years it can be on either. I do wonder why my tongue is acting so funny on both sides. But it is TN. Who really knows?!

Thank you all for your responses!

I get tongue numbness, worse on TN side but really feels like whole tongue, when I had insurance had it checked out and many tests and the only answer was it was the TN. It sure can freak ya out, understand. Hope your Dr will get back with you soon, but try to relax with it, TN has so many unknown factors, we just have to rule out any other possible issues. Take care.

Betsy

Hi.

I have tongue issues too. I have Atypical TN on my left side. The tongue pain, itchiness and numbness can happen on both sides, the right side or in the middle. I was freaking out about it at first but it comes and goes so I have come to accept it.

Hello! My tongue doesn’t seem to get numb but my upper lip does. That was my first symptom. It’s always a bit numb and at the same time it feels prickly. Weird! I would definitely ask your DR

It could be a medication you are taking too.I'm having some numbness now after gammaknife around my eye,but so happy no TN pain.Good luck and congrats on your marriage!

I get tongue issues too have numbness/burning pain on whole of tongue but worse along edges. Have been putting it down to medication side effect. I also seem to bite insides of cheeks/lips when eating. Sometimes I choke on small pieces of food or small tabs.