Tegretol rash or....?

I have been on Tegretol nearly a month now, currently at 200 mg twice a day. It is incredibly effective at blocking the pain, but I’m not thrilled with the side effects. I also have to add on about 2,000mg of ibuprofen a day just to block the headache that the Tegretol gives me, and I’m also ridiculously tired all the time (except at bedtime!)
Last night I started to feel an itch on the inside of my thigh. When I scratched I felt all these weird little bumps. However upon looking, there is no redness, no traditional rash.
Is this something to see the dr about anyway? And are the other side effects a reason to change drugs when this one works so well?

I would call pharmacist or go see him before going to the doctor - they know drugs and side effects BEST

Lucky for me my dad and step mom are both pharmacists. Free consults! :slight_smile:

Kc Dancer Kc said:

I would call pharmacist or go see him before going to the doctor - they know drugs and side effects BEST

Roselyn, I feel you’re on a lot of ibuprofen, that could be part of the problem and not necessarily the Tegretol. Do talk to your dad & step mom about it.
I know in my own experience it took at least 8-12 weeks before my body adjusted to the Tegretol and the side effects disappeared. I managed quite well on just 800mg Tegretol XR for the longest time.
I hope you start to feel better.
(( hugs)) Mimi

I would also check with your doctor on this. These drugs can also have every serious reaction called tens disease. It can become very serious and life threating. One other thing to speak with your doctor is the amount of ibuprofen, large dosages and even habitual daily use can be hard on your liver. So you may want to see if there is something you can use for your headache. The headache could also be part of your tn, and not just from the tn medication your using. I hope your rash goes away quickly and is nothing too bad for you.

Yes, agree with all the above. Get it checked, consult about the Ibuprofen. It is not good ro take too much and can in fact cause headaches. My nuero put a plan in place to wean me off headache pills for my migraine. It was tough but I now rarely have them. Good luck with everything.

2400 mg daily is the general maximum. 3600 mg is acceptable under a doctor’s supervision. Not for long term obviously. Just waiting to see the neuro.