Swollen gums, throat and roof of mouth

This has happened just a few times when i have a really bad episode. Wednesday when i woke up i had some facial pain, but it wasn't bad. But by the time i got to work, it had gotten worse to where i couldn't even touch the left side of my face. I work in scheduling and wear a headset...couldn't even wear it b/c it was sending relentless shocks of pain through my ear. By lunch time my gums were swollen along with my throat and mouth, but just on the left side. I ended up having to leave work b/c even talking at that point was hurting me. I had to stay home on Thursday b/c i wasn't any better. I am back at work today, but my mouth and throat and gums are still inflamed. I still have twinges of pain...i don't understand why i still have the inflamation in my mouth and throat. Has anyone else had this?

Just wondering what meds you are on? I was on Tegretol and had a severe allergic reaction. One of the things my doctor checked for was problems with mouth tissue. I think your gum and throat issues warrant a call to the doctor!
Best of luck
Christine

I had to stop taking tegretol because every time we increased the dosage i had increased pain in my ear and throat and increased pain when trying to swallow. No swelling from it tho. But I have had swelling from just TN occasionally. It was just on my face. I hope you get better soon. :(

Crying can make it worse??? I had it last for a day and a half when I had an extreme crying episode...... :-(

Not sure about stress, but laying down sleeping would aggravate it. It wouldn't surprise me tho. Stress increases my pain levels. So when the swelling acts up I usually fall asleep in a recliner. I looked like a puffer fish on that day...it was pretty pitiful....

I didn’t have any problem with Tegretol until I was up to 900 mg a day.glad you put a call into your doctor.:slight_smile:
br/>

Stacy F said:

Tegretol is one of the meds I take…I don’t have this all of the time though…so I don’t know how it could be allergic…but you never know. I put a call in to my doctor this morning b/c it hasn’t gone away and it’s been since Wednesday…

Stacy, I had the same thing happen to me over the weekend. It started on Sat, by Sunday, my left jaw was swollen, my gums and ear killing me. Could not even speak. Had to stay home from work on Mon and Tues. My jaw is slowly going down. But shocks of pain still there in face and ear. I feel you pain and hope you feel better. BTW the doc said the swelling was due to the increase in my Neurontin.. changed meds to Lyrica

Come to think of it, I think I was crying because i was stressed out. LOL AND now I remember my face hurt like h$;";;---, welll you know.

I have tenderness inside my mouth and have had it since this episode started last week. So it seems more common than I thought.