Radiofrequency

I had radio frequency done almost 6 weeks ago. My pain and swelling are getting worse everyday. They keep telling me that because I got a day of relief from the nerve block, this should work. They also say that it is 98% effective. Has anyone else had this done? Did it work? Any advice about what to do now? Please help!!

Michelle

So sorry this happened to you. I don't know much about the radiofrequency. I just know that I am having the MVD when the time comes because it is the most effective.

Hi Michelle. I had gamma knife in 2009 which did nothing. Then my MVD gave me about a year and a half. I had radiofrequency in 2010 and then again March 1st of this year. I am doing wonderful right now with absolutely no pain. I'm off 2 of my 3 meds and working my way down off the last one. I hope this helps you. Laureen

How long did it take to get relief?

My first radiofrequency gave me instant relief. The second one took approx. 4-6 weeks. At first I thought it didn't work because it was different than the first time. I was having shooting pains in my tongue and throat after the procedure and I thought something must have gone wrong because I never had pain there before. But everything gradually subsided and now I have no pain at all. I'm hoping the cold weather doesn't start aggravating it though because that's always been a trigger for me. Have you been back to your dr. since the procedure? and if so, what does he/she say about it ?I

I have gone back. They just keep saying "be patient" and in the mean time, they cut back my pain meds so now I am in more pain with less relief. I made an emergency appt with her for Monday. I don't mean to just whine about my pain, but I can't take it anymore. The weather here is raining and cold and of course.... windy which is not helping.

hav2hope said:

My first radiofrequency gave me instant relief. The second one took approx. 4-6 weeks. At first I thought it didn't work because it was different than the first time. I was having shooting pains in my tongue and throat after the procedure and I thought something must have gone wrong because I never had pain there before. But everything gradually subsided and now I have no pain at all. I'm hoping the cold weather doesn't start aggravating it though because that's always been a trigger for me. Have you been back to your dr. since the procedure? and if so, what does he/she say about it ?I

I feel so bad for you. I don't understand why they would cut back your meds already. My surgeon told me not to start cutting back until the pain was gone for a few weeks and even then I've done it very slowly. Of course the lousy weather doesn't help. Have you had any other procedures done in the past? Please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have. I hope your doctor is able to help you on Monday and takes your pain seriously. Laureen