Question of POT (marijuana)

Has anyone tired marijuana, medical of course, as a relief for TN pain? If so did it work or what did you find out about it? My friend brought it up and I didn't know the answer to it. Thanks for any help you can give.

I have a prescription for medical cannabis. They recommend you try a high CBD strain because the CBD is the part of cannabis that helps with pain. I have tried a few strains and I find it does help. I would say that I mostly use it at night to help me sleep and only use it when the pain is bad. I would say the biggest help it offers me is that it helps me to relax and not panic or stress about the pain and therefore I can cope better. I also feel like it does dull the pain too. I have ATN or some sort of neuropathic facial pain. I am still being passed around from dr to dr and no one seems to agree on any one diagnosis right now.

It is not legal in my state so I have not tried it but many here find it does help them. The information Jawz gave you is very helpful. If you want to find more experiences and comments on it, put marijuana or pot in the search box and you should find many threads on it.

It helped me take the edge off… If you can find a safe source… You can smoke, or make brownies with it… But brownies can be stronger, have to find a recipe and play with the strength…start slow either way. ; )

There is actually a government study that shows it is effect for TN. It was published about 5 years ago.

A few things: high cbd and low thc is best. The strain ACDC is supposed to be the best for neuropathic pain. Try to get edible. They are finding that smoking pot is 10x worse for your lungs then smoking cigerettes. Realize if you are working, you run the risk of losing your job even with a card. The card in most states is merely a pass in regards to state prosecution and nothing more.

I have not tried it personally but I have researched it extensively because I would like to. What stops me has to do with professional reasons.

I vaporize or make brownies. Vaporizing is not harmful like smoking is and you get immediate results. That is really helpful during a bad attack. Eating the brownies are great because you get stronger and longer effects, but it also takes 1-2hrs before you get relief. Each state and province has different rules and regulations and some of that can be tricky to navigate. If you are still working you need to research your companies health and safety polices and accommodation policies. I believe in Ontario the workplace is required by law to accommodate you and allow you to have breaks to vaporize (take your meds essentially), but they also could question whether you are safely able to perform you job while taking your meds. I mostly use it during bad attacks and sometimes just at night time so I can sleep and cope with the pain better. I find reducing stress and getting sleep is the key for me in controlling the pain and managing.

The states are tricky because the feds consider it a scheduled drug still. So employment issues are not protected. Even where it has be legalized. So be very careful. Also, I am in the legal profession, and using can effext more than employment----- even with a card.

Its really sad that its still like that for people who truly do need it. I find it funny that its okay to be on pain medications such as opioids, which can have equal or greater impairment and that is socially acceptable, mostly, but not cannabis. Its sad that even with a card that people still have to be weary of losing their jobs or having other social or economical impact.

I am in Canada too. I was listening to a radio program about a high school kid that uses medicinal mj for chronic pain. He has been aloud to do it at school (vapor or edibles) for a couple of years but they recently banned him from doing so. I would think in Canada employers should have to accommodate but it is controversial for sure. There is a stigma that comes with it unfortunately.

I tried it but the coughing was a trigger for me…I heard it has worked well for lots of people though!

Jonn… You can make it edible.

Yes, I found it doesn’t do anything for the pain, but nothing really does except massive doses of Carbamazepine ( in my case ) but it helped me relax and not worry so much of when the next electrifying pain would hit. There is something to be said for getting a few moments of peace albeit brief.

THC pills work best for me along with a type of pot for day and it type a thought for at night. Everyone snow while I do have to throw in a pain pill. Remember medical marijuana does not take away the pain of trigeminal neuralgia that helps you manage the pain. I’m 68 years old and never thought I would be in a situation smoking medical marijuana use cough drops take the THC pills at least by doing this you’re keeping all of the pills which are poison in you your system Out.

I notice that it cuts down the pain seizure to maybe 5 seconds.

I live in Colorado where it is legal and was lucky because the Dr I saw was actually a neurosurgeon. He told me that edibles were the way to go. 45 min before going to bed and it wouldn't get rid of the pain but it would lessen it and make the strikes further apart. But it was better if you could eat it every night.

He also told me that when I could that MVD was the way to go. When he was practicing he used to do 4 or 5 a week.

As of right now I have a mild case of TN. I have smoked pot for years, and sometimes I feel that smoking is a trigger for my TN pain. I have noticed it with certain types of glass pipes like if I have to stretch my mouth to hit it or really suck a lot. On Super Bowl day I smoked out of a bubbler and my mouth bothered me for about an hour afterwards. I have not tried vaporizing or edibles.

All of my doctors and my eldest son have pushed me to try marijuana. I have been using the vaporizing pen so it is not as obvious. I personally do not like weed or the sluggish way it makes me feel. I don't like to be out of it. Using a very strong oil, I take 3-4 puffs at night to help sleep but I have not stopped taking Ambien and Xanax as well to sleep. When I have tried to use it during horrible pain episodes it does not work. The effect is within minutes which is surely better than the Percocet which takes an hour. When I try to use it during the day it just makes me too iffy. Also, many times I have tried, my whole body might be fuzzy and feeling good, but the pain stays. It is the only thing I feel, just pain. It makes me sluggish, exacerbates the pain and there is nothing I can do. I am not against it for sleep but it is still a drug and if you have anything to do during the day you really can't drive or function. I am a single dad with two teenage sons and two dogs who need me. I spend 16-18 hours a day in bed waiting for the pain, treating the pain and wishing I was dead. Adding weed to the mix, if you don't have to run around all day can help some. I find from most people I talk to it does not work.

All of my doctors and my eldest son have pushed me to try marijuana. I have been using the vaporizing pen so it is not as obvious. I personally do not like weed or the sluggish way it makes me feel. I don't like to be out of it. Using a very strong oil, I take 3-4 puffs at night to help sleep but I have not stopped taking Ambien and Xanax as well to sleep. When I have tried to use it during horrible pain episodes it does not work. The effect is within minutes which is surely better than the Percocet which takes an hour. When I try to use it during the day it just makes me too iffy. Also, many times I have tried, my whole body might be fuzzy and feeling good, but the pain stays. It is the only thing I feel, just pain. It makes me sluggish, exacerbates the pain and there is nothing I can do. I am not against it for sleep but it is still a drug and if you have anything to do during the day you really can't drive or function. I am a single dad with two teenage sons and two dogs who need me. I spend 16-18 hours a day in bed waiting for the pain, treating the pain and wishing I was dead. Adding weed to the mix, if you don't have to run around all day can help some. I find from most people I talk to it does not work.

richard_scott said:

Hi, I posted that very question and got some very interesting replies. I don't think I would try it due to that. Just doesn't sound like it would help.