Medical Marijuana

I realize it might be controversial to ask this question, but I'm wondering if anyone is using medical marijuana to help with pain.

Have not tried it yet—but my hubby thinks it might benefit this pain journey I’m on these days.

Apparently there are two types of MM—one that puts your lights out and one that helps your creativity and gives you energy to boot. If there were more studies on this for nerve pain, it would help us make an informed decision about it.

In my state, nerve pain dx is on the list of non-disputed dx to qualify for MM. My issue has been non-MM, and I end up with a major headache later on - so it has worked in the instance, but then caused a different pain later. I'm hoping as I move through this process that once approved I can work with a licensed MM distributor to find a strain that will relieve the pain and not give me a headache.

Looking forward to other's input as well.

I would gladly try it, if it was a schedule II instead of a scheduled I. Even though I live in a medical marijuana state I would still lose my job if one of my random UA tests came up positive. Because of this it is still risky for me to try, I would also lose my health insurance because of this, something that I really need to have at this point. I strongly suggest anyone who is considering this as an option to look at how you would and would not be protected. For instances Oregon allows medical marijuana but does not protect you from random UA, and if you are let go because of these you will not get unemployment. I asked one of my friends that is a lawyer about this a few months ago when I would have done anything to stop the pain. Each state is different so make sure you understand your states law before trying this as part of your medical treatment. Sorry to be such a downer.

Didnt work…very little works on nerve pain. May help anxiety for some. Pot generally makes me anxious.

There are two major strains as stated above -- one for relaxing, anxiety and pain -- the other one a little more opposite

Do some research on nerve pain and MM -- many here cannot comment / or may be afraid to.

I so wish I could try it. although our state says it's legal, our sheriff who is a friend of ours, will not allow it saying under federal regulations it is against the law. I would try it in a minute if I thought it would help. I look forward to responses.

Do not allow someones opinion of something stop you from getting relief from the condition you suffer from. Whatever treatment is available that interest YOU then figure out how to make it happen for you. The sheriff has no say in what YOU do in order to live a more comfortable life. There isn't a law written that can stop me from getting the relief I need for this condition. We have gotten this thing twisted.... The laws are to be made by the people for the people, not by politicians against the people. I doubt very seriously that you will be importing massive amounts of marijuana to help with your personal treatment. I don't think you will need a few tons to do what you need to do. Figure out how to get the help you need and do it.

I have tried this and it did work. I was pain free though I was also still taking Tramadol . Unfortunately, I don’t live in a state where it is legal, but I do get it when I visit California from a friend who uses MM for sleep. Anyone can google which states its legal, but in some states it is only legal for research purposes. That makes me think just now that maybe they should do some research with TN patients. There are other ways to get the active ingrident in a lollipop. Wish I could use it, because I know that it does work. I know this is controversial, but nothing but being honest here. I worry about getting it illegally because of my husbands job. I haven’t been able to work at all.

I think stress enhances the pain. In fact, just opening my eyes after I wake up is stressful because now it is another day of dealing with pain and depression

Andy Rackerby said:

Didnt work…very little works on nerve pain. May help anxiety for some. Pot generally makes me anxious.

What exactly is the difference between MM and ...um...just marihuana? MM is not available where I live but it's very easy to get marihuana or marihuana seeds and no one really cares if I have a few plants for my personal use at home.

And yes, I agree that stress and depression enhances the pain big way. If marihuana could help me with that I'd give it a go.

In states that have MM, you get an Rx (as you know) and go to a dispensary where they have different varieties, as others have written about. The product is better and you have control over what you are getting as opposed to non-MM. Still might help. I have so far found with non-MM, I get a massive headache the next day, whereas with MM, I can probably get a stain where that won't happen.

Although I could get MMJ in my state can my Medicare be stopped if I used it?

Anyone?

@tkal - I have no idea, as laws differ state to state, and even though there are states that have legal MM, as someone pointed out in an earlier post - there are federal issue that could get in the way depending upon your state.

I think I read that MM is more strong/potent - and takes less to use than "regular" to get relief - last longer.

I agree Kc!

Ok, got my card and the medicine. There are three types: sativa (which they say is more daytime), indicas (night - will definitely make you sleepier) and hybrids - combo of both. The woman I met with talked with me about my illness and which ones might be best and I've been experimenting. So far I tolerate the hybrid the best, and the great thing is I do not have a migraine or bad headache the next day. I've only been trying them at night - and find the sativa makes me too anxious (and sleepy), and the indica makes me too sleepy. The jolts of pain are still there, but I do feel them less often during the course of the night and so far have been able to eat chewy things without too much discomfort, but I'm taking it slow. Very slow. The whole dispensary experience is very, very interesting.

Lauren,

Were you using any other type of herbal supplements prior to MM?

@OLMEQ - no

actually, it's cheaper in Seattle to get it from the dispensary if you get approved for MM