Neuro in Houston, Texas

I am having MVD in Dec. with Dr. Dong Kim....I know someone who had him do her brain surgery (not MVD) and she can't say enough good things....I met with him last week and really feel good about it...He is at Herman Hospital at the Med. Center in Houston. I will post again after my surgery.

Best wishes to you! I had surgery this past June and it truly gave me my life back. You may want to read the MVD group on this site if you haven't already. There is lots of good information there from those of us who have had the surgery.

Does he do MVD's on a regular basis???

He does about 50 a year....

Kc Dancer Kc said:

Does he do MVD's on a regular basis???

You should be good to go!

Dr. Kim runs a Face Pain Clinic down there. All he does is face pain. He’s in the same group as they guy that did my two surgeries, but Dr. Kim is really the authority on face pain in our area from what I have been able to gather.

Dr. Kim performed an MVD on my husband November 2011, He was pain free for 13 months. Going in Monday for the Gamma Knife, again with Dr. Kim. Praying it helps.

Best if luck to your husband. I’m making an appointment with Dr. Kim just to have a second opinion on everything that’s going on with me.

Thank you. Dr. Kim is very helpful, so are his nurses. Great group of people.

Are you all talking about Dr. Dong Kim at the Medical Center in Houston ? There are 2 Dr. Kims in Houston...

Dr. Dong Kim in Houston ?

tnwife said:

Dr. Kim performed an MVD on my husband November 2011, He was pain free for 13 months. Going in Monday for the Gamma Knife, again with Dr. Kim. Praying it helps.

Yes Dr. Dong Kim

He is the best !!!!! Do you live in Houston?....Have you had MVD before ? He did mine in Dec. 2012....It went great. About 2 weeks ago I got a cold that went to my ear....I have had 2 rounds of anti. and 1 round of steroids...the ENT lanced it, no help then yesterday he put a tube in it....He said if it isn't gone by next Wed. then he is afraid it has something to do with the surgery....uggggg Dr. Kim does all kinds of neuro surgeries... He is in charge of the teaching part of Neuro at Memorial Herman at the Meidcal Center. If you get in with him you will love him !!!!!

I live in The Woodlamds. I have had 2 mvd’s up here with another guy from Misher Neuroscience, Dr. Zubay. He came very highly recommended. I have confidence in his surgical abilities ( he teaches at ut med center) but he has been completely unresponsive lately. I am almost 5 weeks out out my second mvd and in quite a bit of pain and still ultra tired. I wanted to check in with him to make sure everything is ok. I had wanted to see Dr. Kim before my second surgery for a second opinion, but I was in unrelenting crippling pain so we scheduled the surgery right away and just went ahead with it. Hopefully Dr. Kim says everything is fine and the nerve just needs time to heal. I know Dr. Kim is the authority on face pain in our area, so once I see him I will know I’ve talked to the best and I can stop worrying so much. I really need a new neurologist too. My neuro is unequipped to handle my case. He just keeps wanting to treat my migraines, which have oddly mostly stopped since my TN. They’ve been overcome by the greater pain!
We should have a meet up some time for the Houston area sufferers. I made a gulf coast group on here but I think I’m the only one in it lol

I live in College Station.....I lived in Houston for years....Dr. Kim is the most amazing man....Smart, kind and gentle :) I felt really tired for about a week. I only spent 2 nights in the hospital...I come to the Woodlands every 6 weeks to get my hair cut. We should meet sometime....:) Praying you feel better soon....Did the 1st MVD bring you any relief ? A friend did the Gamma Knife and she said it was a 10000000 times worse than MVD....She said she would never do it again.

Heather Calkins said:

I live in The Woodlamds. I have had 2 mvd's up here with another guy from Misher Neuroscience, Dr. Zubay. He came very highly recommended. I have confidence in his surgical abilities ( he teaches at ut med center) but he has been completely unresponsive lately. I am almost 5 weeks out out my second mvd and in quite a bit of pain and still ultra tired. I wanted to check in with him to make sure everything is ok. I had wanted to see Dr. Kim before my second surgery for a second opinion, but I was in unrelenting crippling pain so we scheduled the surgery right away and just went ahead with it. Hopefully Dr. Kim says everything is fine and the nerve just needs time to heal. I know Dr. Kim is the authority on face pain in our area, so once I see him I will know I've talked to the best and I can stop worrying so much. I really need a new neurologist too. My neuro is unequipped to handle my case. He just keeps wanting to treat my migraines, which have oddly mostly stopped since my TN. They've been overcome by the greater pain!
We should have a meet up some time for the Houston area sufferers. I made a gulf coast group on here but I think I'm the only one in it lol

Dr. Kim has a great neuro in his office...her name is Dr. Madden (think I spelled it right) very kind and listens to you..

Cheryl said:

I live in College Station.....I lived in Houston for years....Dr. Kim is the most amazing man....Smart, kind and gentle :) I felt really tired for about a week. I only spent 2 nights in the hospital...I come to the Woodlands every 6 weeks to get my hair cut. We should meet sometime....:) Praying you feel better soon....Did the 1st MVD bring you any relief ? A friend did the Gamma Knife and she said it was a 10000000 times worse than MVD....She said she would never do it again.

Heather Calkins said:

I live in The Woodlamds. I have had 2 mvd's up here with another guy from Misher Neuroscience, Dr. Zubay. He came very highly recommended. I have confidence in his surgical abilities ( he teaches at ut med center) but he has been completely unresponsive lately. I am almost 5 weeks out out my second mvd and in quite a bit of pain and still ultra tired. I wanted to check in with him to make sure everything is ok. I had wanted to see Dr. Kim before my second surgery for a second opinion, but I was in unrelenting crippling pain so we scheduled the surgery right away and just went ahead with it. Hopefully Dr. Kim says everything is fine and the nerve just needs time to heal. I know Dr. Kim is the authority on face pain in our area, so once I see him I will know I've talked to the best and I can stop worrying so much. I really need a new neurologist too. My neuro is unequipped to handle my case. He just keeps wanting to treat my migraines, which have oddly mostly stopped since my TN. They've been overcome by the greater pain!
We should have a meet up some time for the Houston area sufferers. I made a gulf coast group on here but I think I'm the only one in it lol

I have a terrible time recovering from anesthesia. It took me nearly 3 months to recover fully from my first sinus surgery in 2001. I woke up from my first mvd pain free and other than surgery pain and being tired I was doing pretty well. I overdid it quite a bit, but my surgeon said that probably didn’t contribute to my pain coming back though. About 4 months in my face started getting a pain here and there and they weren’t terrible at first, but they started getting more intense and more frequent very quickly. I was in constant pain because of my tn 2 coming back too. It’s been such a nightmare. My doctor said gamma was an absolute last option for me since I’m young (32) and in good health. Well, other than TN. I would love to meet up when I start to feel more up to it! I moved to The Woodlands from Austin a few years ago. I love it here. I don’t know if I believe in fate, but moving here and then having TN show up have me access to the best doctors. My mom knows the CEO of memorial Hermann The Woodlands and he personally recommended and then called my surgeon for me. He said Dr. Zubay is who he would have operate on his daughter if it was her. I feel like I’d have ended up coming to Houston for treatment one way or another and this way I was close enough to my parents so they could take care of me. Anyway, I’m rambling. It’s just “one of those things”. Any tips about going to see Dr. Kim? How’s the parking for his office?

GOD did put you where you needed to be...:) I have a son who is 30...I can't even imagine dealing with all this at such a young age....Parking is o.k. Just park in the garage right by the bldg he is in...You can't miss it....When are you going? Praying for you....HE will get you through all of this...If you ever want to talk give me a call....:) 979-■■■■■■■■.

Cheryl,

I am in Houston and trying to get to the bottom of my pain. I tried to get an appnt with Dr.Dong Kim but was told by his office that he does not do diagnosis of TN, only treatment. Do yonu have a neurologist here in Houston that you liked and who understood TN and facial pain?

Cheryl said

He is the best !!!!! Do you live in Houston?....Have you had MVD before ? He did mine in Dec. 2012....It went great. About 2 weeks ago I got a cold that went to my ear....I have had 2 rounds of anti. and 1 round of steroids...the ENT lanced it, no help then yesterday he put a tube in it....He said if it isn't gone by next Wed. then he is afraid it has something to do with the surgery....uggggg Dr. Kim does all kinds of neuro surgeries... He is in charge of the teaching part of Neuro at Memorial Herman at the Meidcal Center. If you get in with him you will love him !!!!!

I’m in the Woodlands, and looking to change neurologists myself. He (I) diagnosed me, but my case is way over his head. He thinks everything is a migraine and try’s to treat that.