Mvd

I’m going to see a neurosurgeon on Thursday about an MVD surgery. How long was anyone out of work? Any advice on the recovery process is welcomed.

Best recovery is from best surgeon -- has he/she done more than 100 of these at minimum? Please ask this before you ask anything else! I flew to Michigan from Missouri - to get the best care for me.

If you have a desk job - low movement job - 3 weeks should do it to go back to work.

High pressure/stress or high physical demanding job - maybe 4 weeks better.

Some go back sooner, some later - I knew of somebody in my local support group that was out bending her head down all over her garden on week 1 -- her TN came back real soon -- I've heard of others wish they had chilled out longer than they did - feeling that it compromised their MVD.

Plan on having help with somebody getting food prepared for you for at least week 1. Somebody might be able to help with pets or any other household responsibilities. I could not take the hydrocodone they gave me - always makes me sick -- Tylenol 3 better or Tramadol.....Some only use advil when they get home.

Don't Forget -- it takes up to ONE FULL year for all that to heal afterwards - inside nerves anyway -- the incision should heal in weeks!

Keep posting and asking as much as you need!!!! No matter how great a doctor is - they have not HAD TN - that's why we are here!

Hi Renaye
I had my MVD on January 25rh. I went in Friday morning and spent two nights in ICU, was released on Sunday. I spent most of the next week on the couch, and then flew home on Friday. I work from home, running a small business, and am the only employee, so I actually was working on the following Monday. My work is all Internet based, so even though I was very tired and in some pain, I was able to think clearly enough to do my work. That being said, I understand why most people take 4 to 6 weeks off from work. You will be exhausted, and will need all your energy to heal. I did not do any housework at all for a month, and driving is not permitted until at least 2 weeks post op.
I wish you all the best at your appointment. I am very glad I chose to have the procedure, and hope things go well for you.
Christine

Hi Renaye

I agree with Kc dancer - first step is to have a good surgeon and have complete confidence in them. Next step is to take it easy following the surgery. Do nothing except rest rest rest.

I had my MVD on 30 jan this year. I was in hospital for 8 days including first day in ICU. I didn’t have many visitors so that I did plenty of resting with little stimulation. Once home I just laid on the lounge for most of the day watching tv or reading. I ended up with 5 weeks off work, which I am so glad about the extra week I hadn’t planned on (had planned to take 4 weeks but was convinced to take just one more). I work in an office in HR, however it is stressful and full on and sometimes I do a lot of walking. I’m on my second week at work and am exhausted during the whole day I am there, and get home and am still tired. I am hoping this tiredness doesn’t go on too long, however am happy to have it, as I still remember working and being in agony with TN and being so drugged up on meds. I wish you all the best with your appointment. Let us all know how you go and ask as many questions from us as you need to. It is best to be well informed!

Morning!

I just wanted to give an update. I was approved for the surgery and my date is 4/19. My husband and I are kind of nervous but am excited to get on to the road of recovery. I love my surgeon and his honesty with me. I also, have a benign meningioma that will have to be addressed as well, which kind of scared me. Thank you all, for your support and advice. Happy Saturday :wink:

Hi Renaye,
Mine is scheduled for April 9th, there’s a great discussion in the mvd group about prep, pre-op and post-op you’ll have to scroll through to find it, it has about 100 messages to scroll through. Lots of great advice!
All the best of wishes for a successful procedure!
(( hugs )) Mimi

Best wishes for your surgery Renaye. We'll all be thinking of you and praying for you. xx

Great news! All the best.
Christine

Renaye,

Good luck to you. I took 4 weeks off because I'm a teacher and felt that I needed to get back to my students. However, physically, I probably could have used one more week. Take care or yourself. If you can afford to take the time off, do it.

Kathy

Thank you all so much for your insight. I am a Retail Store Manager and my work is pretty demanding. My PC put me on a 30hr a week restriction 2 months ago and I'm still having a ton of attacks. I work on my feet lifting boxes and talking to people all day! Hopefully, they will keep me out for as long as I need them to. I will keep you posted. ;)

Melissa

I went back to work at 6 weeks and had to take a few half days from headaches looking at the computers. Though that is my day staring at computers. I have found computer glasses help a lot!

had my mvd five days ago forgot all the horror stories it's like this it's like any other surgery in that you get ready the gown on the ivs and they knock you out, when you wake up you have a cathetar in your ivs and your don't feel pain but typically you do puke and i did for two days, I have always had hard time with antisthiesa. after surgery they put you in icu for atleast a day to watch you, i remember someone saying cheryl wake up its all over. I wasn't in pain really just puking, then a couple of days later my neck hurt but they give you drugs. It was like most other surgeries i have had your knocked out they wake you up you puke and then rest. Now i am home and i am just exhausted, my neck hurts but nothing i can't live with. My speech is abit slow and words come out wrong sometimes, but the horendous pain is gone i would do it in a minute all over again yes the pain is gone

I am suffering and afraid right now--thought it was a tooth absess but it is not--so prob TN symptoms align with it. So happy to hear there is hope...so much is bleak news... would you mind telling me your story?? did you start with drugs, etc... I don't know what lies ahead!

sluggo said:

had my mvd five days ago forgot all the horror stories it's like this it's like any other surgery in that you get ready the gown on the ivs and they knock you out, when you wake up you have a cathetar in your ivs and your don't feel pain but typically you do puke and i did for two days, I have always had hard time with antisthiesa. after surgery they put you in icu for atleast a day to watch you, i remember someone saying cheryl wake up its all over. I wasn't in pain really just puking, then a couple of days later my neck hurt but they give you drugs. It was like most other surgeries i have had your knocked out they wake you up you puke and then rest. Now i am home and i am just exhausted, my neck hurts but nothing i can't live with. My speech is abit slow and words come out wrong sometimes, but the horendous pain is gone i would do it in a minute all over again yes the pain is gone