Mvd surgery six days ago

Had mvd on Monday at kingston general hospital. Just got home less than an hour ago. Dr Pokrupa is a rock star amongst surgeons! I’ve had zero tn pain since I woke up from the surgery. I’m in quite a bit of pain in my head, along the scar which was stapled, and my neck is killing me. My right eye also hurts and my right ear is plugged like when you have a cold. I’m also totally numb on a large section of my head on the right side. I’m having trouble with bowel moments too. My hospital stay was a positive experience. I didn’t bring anything with me because I hadn’t expected to stay there so long. I ended up making myself a deck of cards with a pen and 52 sheets of a pocket note pad. A nice lady who had been in to visit a relative said she would bring me a deck the next day. True to her word she had gone to the store and bought me a gift of a deck of cards. It turns out she us the CEO of the hospital. What are the odds of that happening? I feel recovery will take a long time and hope the pain subsides before I run out of morphine as they only prescribed 60 pills. After that I don’t know what I’ll do. Cry? We’ll see. I’d add a pic of my scar but I don’t know how to do that on this site. It’s big and ugly. I’m referring to myself as FrankenPierre. I’m so glad I did this. Fingers crossed healing takes place and tn doesn’t come back although I keep expecting it at any moment. Thank you all for the support you’ve given me leading up to this giant step.

Hi Pierre well done you have your first week post operatively complete, each day and week will get better. It's great you had a positive hospital experience and you are TN painfree. Others talk about the neck pain and head heaviness. I hope you get some relief. Thank you for sharing your experience of your mvd. I hope you remain free of TN pain and through time be able to get your life back. I am waiting to get my mvd in August so hearing all your experiences makes it much easier for myself. Take care and get as much rest as you can.

YeY Pierre!! So happy to hear you’re home and your experience was a good one. Yes, the neck soreness, I remember it well…I used many pillows the first few weeks to get comfy at bed time. My ears were plugged for several weeks, aside from the pain from the halo during surgery, the ears being plugged really annoyed me.
Pierre, the pain from surgery lasted for me about a week after getting home, ( I was home at 5 days post op) I was given Tylenol 3s and only took them for a few days. We’re all different though.
Here’s a trick for constipation…a little bit of red pepper jelly on a cracker with cream cheese, have 2-6 crackers and it will help things along within an hour!! You can find the jelly at most grocery stores at the deli counter.
I hope your recovery goes well, remember no lifting anything for several weeks, rest rest rest. Your body needs time to heal.
Take good care of you, sending an immense amount of positive thoughts that this relieves you of TN for a very long time!
(( hugs )) Mimi

Ps the fear is very real…of it returning, we all experience it, you just need to try and distract your thoughts and believe wholeheartedly that this worked! As soon as the fear creeps in, let it go and replace with positive thoughts! Easier said than done, but it’s worth a shot to minimize the fear and stress.

Congratulations ! That is the hard part over! I’m 8 weeks post op MVD & feel great. Each day was slow but week to week saw huge progress. Patience & rest is important. Sudafed helps with ear plugging. Head heaviness gets much better. Move & stretch neck, ice & heat alternate help a lot. I quit taking pain meds pretty much after 10 days. Will help you get better faster & detox poor body. Good luck. Fear is in my pocket zipped up. I peek at it sometimes but try not to let it out:)

Awesome news Pierre Congratulations. Its a miraculous feeling to awaken pain free and I hope that feeling lasts a lifetime. That big ugly scar will go away with time and after awhile only your barber and you will know its there. All those side affects that you have will either go away or subside over time. All seem totally normal for what you went through. I am left 30 yrs later with some numbness periodically and a slight plugged feeling in my ear but it didnt affect my hearing. That fear of TN returning took me many years to get over. Even to this day, some 30+ yrs later i,f I get a tooth twinge in my jaw or an ache of any kind that fear comes back a bit but the fear will lessen over time. Good luck and have a wonderful pain free life.

I am so happy for you!!! I can only hope i get as lucky as you and have the surgery done. Stay positive and dont let that fear govern your life! Sending positive wishes your way!!!