Lyrica, anyone?

My pain has been under control with 75 mg of Lyrica 3x day. Also a small amount of Cymbalta. Neuro cut me back to 27 mg 2x day which was fine with me because I started gaining weight (I had weight loss surgery several years ago so this is more of an issue than you might think).

I started to cut back on Jan 1 and today there is some sensation (not really pain, more like pins and needles or something) returning. I really don't want to go back to the 3x a day.

Anyone think maybe my body will get used to this amount of Lyrica? How long should I wait? the neuro told me to go back to 3x a day if the pain returned, but I really don't want to do that. Any ideas or experiences?

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I was recently diagnosed and just started taking Lyrica. It has taken away 90 per cent of the pain. I'm taking 50 mg at bed time. I don't want to take more because the side effects interfere with my functioning at work.

Hi Kathy, I too take Lyrica 300mgs twice per day, I've also recently been put on Amatryptaline. The Lyrica is now controlling a lot of my pain but I do still have quite a bit of break through pain, especially when I go out in the cold and then back into a warm room. I too have gained weight on this and have already gone up at least one size. Like yourself, this is a big issue for me as I worked very hard to lose weight and this is now getting to me. I mentioned this to my Neuro who said that this is unfortunately a side effect of both my meds and that once the pain is under control then we can start looking at the weight gain. Also, like Lin, the meds have impacted on my memory and functioning but day by day I think this is getting a bit better as I'm getting more used to the drugs!

Mandy,

thanks for taking the time to repsond! I am surprised that you are taking so much Lyrica! I read that the max is only 300 mg total per day! I was wondering if your doctor mentioned WHY Lyrica caused weight gain? Is it something we can control if we are viligian about what we eat? I am also up almost a size but so far I have refused to buy new clothes! I am going to do my best to try to get this weight gain under control!

I also noticed I have some of the other issues with the Lyrica such as having trouble remembering things and pulling the word I am looking for out of my brain. sometimes I will reverse words in a sentence. My husband has noticed that my thought patterns are a bit different. At least I am able to function. I have to work!

Kathy

Mandy said:

Hi Kathy, I too take Lyrica 300mgs twice per day, I've also recently been put on Amatryptaline. The Lyrica is now controlling a lot of my pain but I do still have quite a bit of break through pain, especially when I go out in the cold and then back into a warm room. I too have gained weight on this and have already gone up at least one size. Like yourself, this is a big issue for me as I worked very hard to lose weight and this is now getting to me. I mentioned this to my Neuro who said that this is unfortunately a side effect of both my meds and that once the pain is under control then we can start looking at the weight gain. Also, like Lin, the meds have impacted on my memory and functioning but day by day I think this is getting a bit better as I'm getting more used to the drugs!

I have put on lots of weight on my stomach with the steroids i take, i now have fat cheeks and hair on my face. It states all this on the list of side effects, but why? Why do so many medications cause weight gain? Anybody know?

Hi kathy, My Gp never mentioned weight gain to me but I'm due to see him again this week and intend to discuss this with him. I seem to have put on weight all over and have had to buy new trousers.....not impressed. I would love to try and do some exercises but my balance isn't good at the moment, I only have to bend down and get up again and I go dizzy, I'm sooooooooooo fed up of it. My head consyantly feels as though it's wobbling around so exercise is out for me at the moment. I love walking but then the cold gets to me, I feel as though I can't win!!! Do you suffer with blurred vision, my eyes feels as though they are constantly flickering, being in a car when it's dark is horrific for me, it makes me feels like I'm watching a psychedelic 60s pop film, that's the best way I can describe it ha ha!

Unfortunately, I can't work at the moment, I can't even drive and I work 27 miles away from where I live. The bonu,s I suppose, is that I do receive full pay for the first 6 months of sickness but I do feel for those who don't receive this, it must be very hard on people and have such a massive impact on their lives!.....as if having this condition isn't bad enough!!!

Elaine, like you I would also like to know why these meds cause so much weight gain! I have also developed a craving for nuts.....what's that all about? has anyone else developed any craavings, or is it just me???

You sure your not pregnant Mandy?!!!

Lol Elaine.....No definately NOT!!! xxx