Living with TN

Hi all

Here is my story...

May 2009 tooth & ear pain, many trips to GP and dentist, tests, xrays, full mouth scans, brain scans and nothing, live on pain meds and pain finally goes July 2009, life goes on until September 2009 when it all returns and i use those awful tooth ache drops that take your breath away ahhhhhhhhhhh never again but anything is worth a try right? well they didnt do much so kept up with pain meds... GP starts me on Tegratol half tablet morning and night and slowly increase it you know the drill, finally some relief by January 2010 pain goes i can eat and drink normal once again, both those attacks i lived on warm soft foods and warm drinks anything cold sent the worst pain ever through face/head... but come November 2, 2010 the pain returns with a vengance its far worse than any pain i have ever endured, including having 4 children and 3 wisdom teeth out in one hit and 11 operations....the pain is sheer agony i went to emergency 4 times in 4 weeks to seek pain relief until the Tegratol kicked in, and finally by January i got some relief but i am still on the Tegratol and now have a Neurologist who is trying to get me into remission, but 3 days ago i woke to a swollen mouth with tingling & numbing inside mouth but a painful bruised like feeling on outside you can see its swollen and my lower teeth hurt on left side and it kills to eat but i got to eat....and i am back to eating nothing hard on right side of mouth nothing too cold or too hot... and coping with many other things right now that are going on in my life.... i was also told by Neurologist i am high risk for stroke & heart attack i dont think these are related to TN? but he put me on meds for those, but i didnt fast before that blood test at doctors request and fasted and just had those re done and see him next week.... i am falling apart as i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes early June 2009 just after my first TN pain hit and i have been having IV Itragam for PID - primary immune deficiency for nearly 9 years and will do so for life... i cant find any connections with my other health issues and TN and no one else has TN in my family cant say for my dads side never knew anyone... i probably got it all from them??? but i will never know! Well thats my story... i dont even know if i have type 1 or type 2 TN in fact i didnt even know there was types of it till a couple of weeks ago, reading up on it i think i have a bit of both.... i wish you all the best... Leanne

I just found out I had TN and am learning about it everyday. Welcome to the group and Im glad you shared your story. I just found this site yesterday and Im glad I did.

Leanne,

Do you have shocking pains, ones that are electrical current type quality? Do you have periods where there is no pain? Periods of remission and severe pain of electrical shock type quality are typically hallmark signs of Type I.

Constant aching, burning, searing, crushing, throbbing pain is a hallmark sign of Type II.

Some of us have a combination of the two, you know? I do. I am mostly Type II, or Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia. But, every once in awhile, I will have pains of an electrical current type quality running from my ear into my face.

I felt as if I were falling apart this week to. I must have GYN surgery next month. But, I felt as if I were too young to feel this old.

I wish you the best, friend. I agree with Marcia. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Stef