Lip pain

I have terrible pain and burning in my lips. They are dry and I constantly have to keep them hydrated. I have burned my lips b/c I cannot feel when something is too hot. I feel the cup or food with my finger before drinking or eating now. Anyone have any ideas on how to get some relief? I have burning pain in my teeth, inside my cheeks and my tongue as well.

My Neuro had suggest I try Chloraseptic spray for the pain in my mouth. I haven't yet, but it might be worth a try and give you partial relief. I am so sorry you are having that much burning.

Debbie, thank you, I will try that. It's one thing that I did not think of. My mom who is a retired nurse suggested Orajel but that was too much for my mouth. Certain foods set it on fire. I have noticed that my taste buds are not working properly and I have alot of difficulty swallowing. I choke on my food or drink often so I try to focus and use caution when eating or drinking.

Cleo, I had gone back to my dentist several times. He told me he had seen anything like this except with wisdom teeth. The tooth he surgically removed was a Second Premolar tooth. He put me on antibiotics and methylprednisolone, this did not really help. The only thing I could get him to admit was that there was nerve damage and was told to see my regular MD. My doctor said the said thing, he had never seen anything like this, then he put me on Zanaflex which does nothing for the pain and discomfort, I think it has helped somewhat with the spasms but not enough. Most of what Dr told me, I was already doing on my own out of having to adapt to this new situation and pain. On my next visit this next week, I will request a different kind of medicine to help with the pain in all the effected areas.

I have ATN and suffer from same problems. I EAT SHERBERT, ICE CREAM, THINGS made with marshmellow. The pain in my teeth is somhow not bothered by eatin cold things I stay away from pasta because it chokes me. Potatoes are good also. Use lip balm or wash rags. Hope this helps. Judith

Thank you Judith. I use Aqua Fina lip balm when I can find it. It is not like most chapsticks that are heavy with wax, this actually spreads on without alot of pain but my lips are still peeling and feel very rough. I hope to find something better with possibly a pain reliever or lidocaine in it but I'm not sure if they make such a product. Cold and hot food or drinks are not good for my mouth. I wish I could eat ice cream or yogurt, I love it. I am using a wash cloth sometimes cold, sometimes moist and warm to ease the pain. I really appreciate all the information. Thank you again.

I was wanting to know if the area below your bottom lip burns. That is where it gets me and my tongue burns when eating certain foods now. So that is why I wanted to know about that area for you. Thanks, Min

Min C - hello, yes my bottom teeth, chin, lips, tongue and right cheek burns constantly. Like someone is holding me to the fire. When I touch my chin it is like lighting or electrical shocks down my chin and to the area where the tooth was removed. I hate feeling like this and I more dental work that needs to be addressed. Moaning and groaning about that.

Are you going to be put under to have the dental work done??? Ouch!! and Does vicadin help with the burning pain. Cuz I have them and it seems to take the sting out of it a little. I also take Trileptal and Topamax and Effexor. I am sorry you gotta go to the dentist. :(((

When I get ready to address the dental work again, I will ask for something to help calm me down. I do not want to be out for anything. On a separte note: My doctor's office called, they have now up'd my medication from 4 mg to 8 mg 3 times a day (Zanaflex).

I hope this works good for you Bonnie. :D

Cleo, my dentist only confirms there is nerve damage, that is all. I'm not happy about any of this. :(

Cleo, the dentist took xrays, I don't think they were the type you are talking about. He also took a couple of xrays after this happened to see what was going on. His only comment was that there is nerve damage. Actually, I do not think he wanted to admit that but my question was rather pointed and I was not leaving without an answer.

Cleo thank you for the information. I read the dental section here and you are right. I am searching for answers and reading as much as possible to be informed about this condition and treatments, etc. I am very frustracted with the pain, burning and spasms. How do you deal with it? What works for you? I have tried hot and cold compresses and that only help momentarily. Has any medication helped you? Please let me know, I really appreciate all the help....I am not in a good place physically or emotionally due to all the pain.