Found natural painkiller!

It's been found that hot peppers help TN and other severe headaches!

Capsaicin is the chemical that makes any hot pepper "hot". If you aren't much into hot peppers, the 2 most mild ones are banana peppers and pepperoncini peppers. If you eat yogurt or drink milk with them, the milk products coat the mouth so it won't burn so much.

Here's a section from an article I read about how it can help TN:

• Headache help: Substance P is the key transmitter of pain to the brain. In fact, Substance P is the body's main mechanism for producing swelling and pain throughout the trigeminal nerve, which runs through the head, temple and sinus cavity. When the nerve fibers come in contact with Substance P, they react by swelling—an effect that yields headaches and sinus symptoms. Clinical studies have shown that capsaicin, a compound in hot peppers, is extremely effective for relieving and preventing cluster headaches, migraine headaches and sinus headaches.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/health/Hot-Peppers-Dr-Perricones-Superfood-No-...

It would stand to reason that we could add trigeminal neuralgia to that list of types of headaches, since capsaicin helps the substance P that hits the trigeminal nerve. I did buy a bottle of pepperoncini a couple of weeks ago, and since then, my TN pain has been mostly in remission, but I never made the connection until I read this article!

Warm wishes and prayers for you all,

Sheila

Wow! What great information! Thank you for sharing! I will definitely get some!

Thanks Jenny! I'm still pleasantly surprised at my lowered pain level just from the hot peppers!