Found a site- diff. between teeth pain and TN!

This site not only explains the difference but it is really dead on.

Scroll down to nueritis and neuralgia to cut to the chase.

I had Bell's Palsy and now TN. I knew they were connected!

Tooth pain vs. TN, bells palsy

Using the internet to self diagnose one's self is dangerous. As bells palsy is caused by a herpes virus of the fifth crainal nerve could it be the cause of your TN, nothing I have read has stated this. Still, if concerned please bring it up with your doctor.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Difference_between_bells_palsy_and_trigeminal_neuralgia

okay?

Bells palsy and TN are not the same thing. No. Iwas not saying that at all. Hmmmm. This post was for people to take what they wanted from reading it. Just for informational purposes only. I am just sharing info that was very helpful to me and could help someone else. That is all. smh

Hello, Josie!

Input and information is always welcome here. You already have a diagnosis of Bells Palsy. So, you found a link which indicates that they may be related. I find articles which say that they may be related to Cervical Spine Scoliosis, which is what I have. Many culprits can offend the TN nerve!

I know I have found others with Cervical Spine Scoliosis with my symtoms which match EXACTLY!

With all due respect, Sarah, it seems to me that most docs know little about this illness. I am glad that you found one who did, sincerely. You have been thought quite a battle, and it sounds as if you have minced no words with your docs!

I have had to educate my docs so far on this illness from my own research, and the TN bible, "Striking Back"! So, I hate to say it, but I feel like we are, for a large part, on our own with finding the possible source and best treatment which works for us with this illness. I have tried so many things that docs have told me to. I was misdiagnosed with TMJ for years. I think we know our own bodies better than they do when dealing with this RARE monster.

I believe that the great doc you found is also a RARE animal.

Josie, I hope you can find such a person, someone knowledgeable about TN. I haven't. I've been on my own. I diagnosed myself before my PM doc did. I didn't tell him what it was. He just validated what I had already found from online research. But, you have to be objective about all that you read. Yes, Sarah, you must proceed to believe what you research with caution, but you also must digest what your doc, in most cases tells you with caution. I found this out first hand.

Hugs to both of you,

Stef

I found this very interesting and I thought that the graphics were very good. The explanation of neuralgia as inflamed motor neurons makes a lot of sense. I have been banging on for a long time about the effects of the nerve on muscle function and referred pain. The mention of Bell’s Palsy was simply a very graphic example of the way in which a nerve can cause muscles to behave.

I got maybe 90% of function back after my 6 month bout with bells palsy. I had no function on the right side of my face for 6 months. I just woke up like that. I was a junior in highschool,very detrimental for me. Iwas homeschooled the rest of that school year. I had B P in 2000 and diagnosed with TN in 2009. BP was painless. Between 2000 and 2009 migraines filled the gap. just a mess.

I really didn’t see where it explained the difference in pain… I read all parts. I had several teeth worked on, and removed before my diagnosis. It’s a shame that happened, and now, since my diagnosis, dentists are afraid to work on my teeth in fear that either A) they will put me into an attack B) do damage to my Trigeminal Nerve or C) both.

First, let’s remember Stef’s Blog on Warmth and Compasssion when replying to one another - second, please let’s not use wikipedia as a good resource for information. Anyone is welcome to add information to this page. Wikipedia, is not the best source for medical information, because of citations, and where information was found. Try using sites driven from true medical sites, like John Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, etc… Thanks :slight_smile:

Sarah Hobbs said:

Using the internet to self diagnose one's self is dangerous. As bells palsy is caused by a herpes virus of the fifth crainal nerve could it be the cause of your TN, nothing I have read has stated this. Still, if concerned please bring it up with your doctor.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Difference_between_bells_palsy_and_trigem...

I had all my back teeth taken out and can no longer chew on my right side before they decided it had nothing to do with them. now my dentist wont even check mine now,oh the irony¬¬¬¬¬!!!

Dawn Hadden said:

I really didn't see where it explained the difference in pain... I read all parts. I had several teeth worked on, and removed before my diagnosis. It's a shame that happened, and now, since my diagnosis, dentists are afraid to work on my teeth in fear that either A) they will put me into an attack B) do damage to my Trigeminal Nerve or C) both.

This would be something to bring up with your doctor. I know it will be a relief if your doctor confirms what your read and I have read PLENTY regarding TN online and most of my knowledge comes from this group. Let us know what he/she says. Also, I believe Sara was being direct but not incompassionate. I hope you did not take her the wrong way. She was truly looking out for your best interest, in my opinion. And your email was very short so she probably could not tell the exact purpose of it. I have just used email to communicate with so many types of personalities, I have learned not to read a mood or emotion into just plain verbiage unless it is stated that way. I hope you are having a good day. Thank you for sharing information. I have terrible tooth pain and am anxious to read this!!

<3 Debbie

The Wikipedia definition of Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia is not a means by which to diagnose oneself, nor is it something I told my doctor I believed I suffered from before he diagnosed me. Wikipedia's definition of Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, however, contains the best articulation of my specific chronic pain syndrome I have ever seen committed to written word.