First MRI Tomorrow!

Hi all,

I have my first MRI in the morning. I'm actually excited because I'm weird. I'm not claustrophobic and as long as I don't have a headache, loud noises aren't an issue. So I'm curious about the procedure itself.

That said - what should I hope for? Is this a case where I WANT them to find something to find a cause?

Thanks all!

~Paige

Hi, I’m happy for you that your not afraid of MRI. This is so strange, because it’s like you want them to find some thing! But at the same time you don’t! Any way, what ever happens. I’m sending you a hug for good luck. I will be thinking of you. Regards Sally

This something were you want something to show, like a blood vessel on the nerve. However since it is you head there looking at other things can pop up. I had a dark spot show up in my brain. My doctor called me early the next day to let me know not freak out when the hospital calls me to tell me this. That said sometimes nothing shows up, and that in its self can be disappointing. Hopefully the mri will give results the will help take the pain. Good luck with your MRI, and take care.

As has been said, your treatment options are probably better if something is seen, but often an MRI does not show anything, but problems are often found if the patient opts for surgery and they open you up!

Hi Paige, first you need to understand that when you have an MRI after suspected TN, they are looking to see if there are signs of MS or an abnormal growth ( tumor) to rule out the cause for your pain. They are not looking for compression of the nerve.
So please don’t be dissapoined if/when you’re MRI comes back normal. That’s normal!

Unless they are specifically looking for compression of a vein or artery on your trigeminal nerve,then they would be doing a more specific MRI.which normally isn’t done.
Why? I still don’t know.
So be happy when/if your MRI comes back normal, that’s good news. But definately ask your neuro or doc about having an MRI to show compression.
My neuro and neuro surgeon have never requested to do one, when I ask they say it’s hard to see compression with MRI technology. Yet many on here have had them done…I don’t understand.
Good luck to you,
Mimi

What's different between an MRI looking for MS/tumors and an MRI looking for compression?

Mimi said:

Hi Paige, first you need to understand that when you have an MRI after suspected TN, they are looking to see if there are signs of MS or an abnormal growth ( tumor) to rule out the cause for your pain. They are not looking for compression of the nerve.
So please don't be dissapoined if/when you're MRI comes back normal. That's normal!

Unless they are specifically looking for compression of a vein or artery on your trigeminal nerve,then they would be doing a more specific MRI.which normally isn't done.
Why? I still don't know.
So be happy when/if your MRI comes back normal, that's good news. But definately ask your neuro or doc about having an MRI to show compression.
My neuro and neuro surgeon have never requested to do one, when I ask they say it's hard to see compression with MRI technology. Yet many on here have had them done..I don't understand.
Good luck to you,
Mimi