Disability

I have my disability hearing coming up on June 23 rd. does Living with TN have a document I can print to submit to the judge? TN is so hard to explain.

First, Can I ask if you are already represented by counsel? Is this for SSI or SSDI? Is this before state, and if so what state or before the feds? Is this your first application or are you appealing?

Yes, I have an attorney. This is for SADI. I am in Louisiana. My application was denied so I appealed. This will be my first hearing.

I would highly suggest you purchase Striking Back: the trigeminal neuralgia handbook by george weigal and Kenneth Casey.

Your lawyer will be able to get parts of that book admitted as official treatease fairly easily. Or should be able to. The issue is that Louisiana is not common law based like wvery other state and they do things differently there! However, eveidence tends to follow generally federal rules with certain little state tweaks.

I say to buy the book because sometimes you can have issues or authentication issues with internet sources.

A short form may help the judge even more: There is a link from our main page to the TN Fact Sheet at the National Institutes for Neurological Disorder and Stroke. FYI I wrote and coordinated professional validation of that fact sheet. I also revised and rewrote the Wikipedia entry on Atypical TN.

There is also information in "About Disability" under our Face Pain Info tab in the menu above. The basic principle for any court hearing is that you must bring evidence that you have been evaluated in depth by a qualified medical professional who has found that you cannot work at any activity for which you have training, either in public or at home. This disability can be for reasons of the pain itself, or of the side effects of medications required to control the pain or both. And the professional must state that this condition is expected to last for more than a year.

Feel free to follow up.

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern, Ph.D.

Moderator and Resident Research Analyst, LWTN