Diet Repairs Myelin Insulation on Nerves!

Hello All,

Yesterday I received "The Wahls Protocol" the newest book just released by Dr. Terry Wahls, M.D.,who is a Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis patient who HEALED herself by applying her Intensive Nutrition Plan that she developed over a three year period of equally intensive learning. Dr. Wahls discovered how Intensive Nutrition greatly helps and in some cases even reverses chronic disease processes such as Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's, and other Neurological De-Myelinating Disease. It is a book that discusses in depth the science of life, disease and... us!

I am so moved by Dr.Terry Wahl's passion to help others as she helped herself get off of damaging drug therapy and get out of her wheelchair and start moving and living again! Dr. Wahls is one of the unlucky minority of M.S. patients who has developed Trigeminal Neuralgia. But she experiences almost no TN pain when she sticks to her intensive nutrition plan! (The Wahls Protocol) When she deviates from her plan, even for a few days, she sometimes gets the TN pain back. Dr. Wahls has Trigeminal Neuralgia that is caused by the nerve de-myelination process that occurs in M.S. patients. I think there is a lot to be said for her approach and her miraculous recovery!

I myself, have just started The Wahls Protocol, as I have Atypical TN that is probably NOT caused by an arterial compression of the Trigeminal Nerve my brain. The neurosurgeon at John's Hopkins explained that Atypical TN is a complex problem...having more than one cause that is probably not brain generated. (My vitamin B12 and D3 levels were very low in a recent blood test...a clue that I am not getting enough of the right nutrients to sustain good health) As our bodies age (after 50) it becomes harder to absorb nutrients and for our bodies to create certain nutrients that are needed to sustain optimal health)

It will not be easy to stop eating the SAD (standard american diet) After all, who doesn't love pizza and ice cream? I will have to give up dairy and wheat altogether, but getting off these disabling TN medications might just give me my life back! Giving up foods that are disease - generating will eventually be a way of life as I wean myself off of all processed foods.

I hope you all get this book and see for yourself how intensive nutrition (giving what our bodies need to be healthy) might just be our collective ticket out of pain and into better, maybe even great overall health for life.

Adele Capozzoli

Where can I get this book. I am up to trying a different diet if that helps with my TN.

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

You can get the book at www.terrywahls.com, or the Wahls Foundation: www.thewahlsfoundation.com

Adele :)

Adele, I must remind you with every intention of courtesy that spamming our membership violates site policy. You are free to report your own personal experience here, but please do not generalize to other members without reference to independent trials of this "protocol". Likewise, may I point out that you have not yet attempted the diet which you now advocate?

As far as I have been able to detect, just about all evidence for positive outcomes with diet in practically all neurological disorders are anecdotes told by patients who were not being observed objectively or under controlled conditions. Anecdotal evidence is the weakest form of medical evidence -- and it is very frequently solicited testimony. Those considering the Wahls diet may do well to think carefully about the experience reported by MS patients themselves -- including those at MS-World. See http://www.msworld.org/FORUM/showthread.php?t=116871

I realize that patients want hope. The US TN Association itself has advertised a diet book whose Foreword is written by Dr. Oz -- a major television personality, but a rather questionable authority on facial pain, given that his training was in cardiology. Interestingly, the diet proposed in that book seems to be a variant on the American Heart Association's anti-inflammatory diet. A VERY different protocol from that of Wahls. So who was right, if either? We don't really know.

If you can afford $38 dollars for the book, then I would like to hear your outcomes -- pro or con. But not before you've tried the diet.

Go in Peace and Power

Red Lawhern, Ph.D.
Resident Research Analyst, LWTN

1 Like

I can only agree Red. When I was diagnosed with cancer I was desperate to "cure" myself and tried a nutrition regime. It did one thing alright. Made me very miserable. My oncologist and neurologist have both told me to eat a balanced diet rich with fruit and vegetables, avoid alcohol and highly fatty foods and enjoy my life. That said, like you, if this diet proves effective for many, I would try it.

We must remember that the authors and publishers of all books will always promote their own wares, it's business after all.

Please do let us know the outcome, we do of course hope it works and a miracle will happen, we always live in hope.

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

Adele, I must remind you with every intention of courtesy that spamming our membership violates site policy. You are free to report your own personal experience here, but please do not generalize to other members without reference to independent trials of this "protocol". Likewise, may I point out that you have not yet attempted the diet which you now advocate?

As far as I have been able to detect, just about all evidence for positive outcomes with diet in practically all neurological disorders are anecdotes told by patients who were not being observed objectively or under controlled conditions. Anecdotal evidence is the weakest form of medical evidence -- and it is very frequently solicited testimony. Those considering the Wahls diet may do well to think carefully about the experience reported by MS patients themselves -- including those at MS-World. See http://www.msworld.org/FORUM/showthread.php?t=116871

I realize that patients want hope. The US TN Association itself has advertised a diet book whose Foreword is written by Dr. Oz -- a major television personality, but a rather questionable authority on facial pain, given that his training was in cardiology. Interestingly, the diet proposed in that book seems to be a variant on the American Heart Association's anti-inflammatory diet. A VERY different protocol from that of Wahls. So who was right, if either? We don't really know.

If you can afford $38 dollars for the book, then I would like to hear your outcomes -- pro or con. But not before you've tried the diet.

Go in Peace and Power

Red Lawhern, Ph.D.

Hi Richard,

I wasn't aware that I was Spamming the Membership and I apologize. I don't even know what Spamming means. But I do get that you are telling me that I cannot recommend any doctor or therapy that I have not personally tried.That is not what I have done. I was simply extremely excited to receive my new book and was recommending the book by telling the Membership about it. I mentioned that Dr. Wahls did recover on her protocol because that is a statement of fact and is clearly documented. I stated that (referring to:the protocol) "just might be our collective ticket out of pain." So, I don't see where I was advocating the Protocol, I was merely telling people of its existence, albeit in an excited manner. Yes, I am very excited about this book and its contents. I began the protocol this morning.

According to Dr. Wahls, she has been conducting scientific Wahls Protocol trials with M.S., Parkinson's and Traumatic Brain Injury patients her clinics over the past three years. She has given TED x Talks and has written four books. She acknowledges in her book that not everyone is helped by the Wahls Protocol in her clinics and trials. But many are, all in varying degrees.

There is anecdotal evidence represented in the book, all in Testimonial Form from M.S. patients around the world. I counted 16, as I read it cover to cover yesterday and late into the night. The book is recommended reading by: David Perlmutter, M.D., and Mark Hyman, M.D. as well as several other medical professionals.

The book costs $28.00 in the U.S., I believe you quoted a higher cost. The book you referred to (where Dr. Oz has written the Foreward) is: Facing Facial Pain. I have it and spoke with it's author, Gerald Lemole, M.D. two weeks ago. He is the father-in-law of Dr. Oz and if it were not for our conversation and what I gleaned from his book, I would not have found out about my pernicious anemia problem until much later, I am sure.

Have a Wonderful First Day of Spring!

Adele :)

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

Go in Peace and Power

Red Lawhern, Ph.D.

As we all proceed forward from here, I commend to the reading of our members, the following, titled "Rambling Prose". It is written by a TN patient.

http://rambling--prose.blogspot.com/2014/03/whats-worse-than-spam.html?spref=fb

Please note: I am not suggesting that Adele is a paid shill for the publishers or author of the book being discussed in this thread. I'm sure her intention is positive. I AM, however, suggesting that we all take a "show me real trials data" attitude whenever the term "cure" comes up in discussion. In the 18 years I've been talking with patients, I have repeatedly seen hopes dashed after initial enthusiasm. The greatest separator between realistic hope and wishful thinking is MECHANISM. If a proponent of cure cannot show us the trail of scientific breadcrumbs describing how the "cure" works biochemically, then it most likely isn't a cure at all.

Sorry to rain on anybody's parade. But life is hard on wishful thinkers.

Regards, Red

1 Like

Dear Red
I know if there was a “cure” you would be screaming it from the mountain tops .
Peace be with you

1 Like

I can't say it any better than that! Red would be on his PC sending out emails to every TN contact he had. all day long.
Kim said:

Dear Red
I know if there was a "cure" you would be screaming it from the mountain tops .
Peace be with you