Botox for Migraine

Does anyone on this site use Botox as a treatment for Migraines? If so, may I ask how often do you receive treatment, and does it respond to or help to your TN pain?

In the last week, the Botox injections of 200 units to the scalp given 6 weeks ago, has been wearing off on the pain relief effect it gives the TN pain. The Botox paralyzes some of the TN nerve, thus giving me relief in parts of the nerve, but not all.

Usually it's been given every 6 weeks, but this time it will be at the 8 week mark. I cannot put into words how painful it has been. As I'm titrating up on the Neurontin, I've made it to 2400 p/day now. But the joint pain is sometimes worse than the TN pain. Eight hundred mgs of Advil usually takes care of the joint pain, but with the higher doses of Neruontin, the swelling is not going down.

I'm asking about others' experiences with Botox for Migraine pain to see if I can learn something. It's amazing how I forgot the reality that lies within this poor, damaged nerve. ATN w/anesthesia delorosa are the symptoms I am experiencing. I feel sorry for this little, powerful nerve! It's been fried and is crying out in pain!!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Sincerely,

LyndaS

Lynda There was an article in our national newspapers today, to say Botox was now going to be offered on the NHS in the UK for migraine treatment. For the NHS to fund this, there must be evidence for it.

Yes, Elstep, I have first hand experience for the Migraine relief from this treatment! It has been amazing to have one or two migraines p/month, as opposed to 14-18! And the plus here w/me is that for the first 4 weeks after using it, the TN pain is taken down to where I can use 1/2 the medication for TN than without the Botox.

Our US FDA approved this in Oct of 2010…about 6 months after I began paying for it out of pocket due to desperation for relief! You see, I could not take any other med except Neurontin in its' drug class. All of the anti-convulsant and anti-seizure drugs made me really ill. There have been moments in the past few days I've considered asking the doc if I can try a small amount of trilleptal or something similiar to hold me over for a few weeks, but I think it takes at least that long to level out in your system.

As far as anti-depressants., I've been experimenting with 25 mg of Amytriptelene at night and it is perfect. 50 mg makes me gain weight quickly, even though I don't eat much and workout. So as to not add diabetes to my list of health challenges, I'd rather keep the dose low.

My doc has been great at using the botox every 6 weeks (1/2 of the migraine treatment used for a 3 month mark), and it's been such a blessing for migraines and TN. It's just been wearing off in the last week and I'm wondering how to handle waiting this 2 weeks with the added pain. I have hard deadlines for graphic work for cities in California and have to keep going.

I'm glad your government can see the cost effectiveness and the benefits of this injection for the migraine patients. It's been like a breath of fresh air! Are migraines something you deal with on top of TN?

elstep said:

Lynda There was an article in our national newspapers today, to say Botox was now going to be offered on the NHS in the UK for migraine treatment. For the NHS to fund this, there must be evidence for it.