Botox, anyone?

Hi! I have type1 TN pretty straightforward, for 2years. I read that Botox injections to the nerve could be beneficial. Has anyone heard of this?

Please run the term "Botox" in the search window at the top right of the page. You'll get a ton of discussion comments.

Regards, Red

Hello, I’ve been using the migraine protocol with botox since 2009. It is wonderful as a migraine prevention, and for tn, some, not all, of the nerve is paralyzed and rendered immovable and painless. There are parts of the nerve that needs oral meds to .be less painful. I hope this may be something that helps you!

Thanks!

LyndaS said:

Hello, I’ve been using the migraine protocol with botox since 2009. It is wonderful as a migraine prevention, and for tn, some, not all, of the nerve is paralyzed and rendered immovable and painless. There are parts of the nerve that needs oral meds to .be less painful. I hope this may be something that helps you!

hey,

i was offered botox. the doctor didn't really thought it would help - but the offer is on the table. it's for the muscle spasm.

why do you think in your case botox would benefit. do you feel the muscle spasm ?

i "laughted" with my doctor and told him that i work with 50-60 years old ladys in my office - and i'll be the first of them to do Botox.

good luck

Hi,
It would be for pain only,as far as I know. With luck, would not effect the muscle movement. As far as I can tell, if injected correctly,could “kill”'the nerve, only affecting sensation. For as long as the botox is in your system.
It is funny to think about it! I am totally anti-Botox-frozen face!!

Nir Morita said:

hey,

i was offered botox. the doctor didn’t really thought it would help - but the offer is on the table. it’s for the muscle spasm.

why do you think in your case botox would benefit. do you feel the muscle spasm ?

i “laughted” with my doctor and told him that i work with 50-60 years old ladys in my office - and i’ll be the first of them to do Botox.

good luck

Thanks, I got the google search, tons of info.

Richard A. “Red” Lawhern said:

Please run the term “Botox” in the search window at the top right of the page. You’ll get a ton of discussion comments.

Regards, Red

Tiffanie... I had in mind the search box on OUR menus. The hits will be a bit more focused to your concern on-site.

{:-) Oh well....

Regards, Red

Regarding the "frozen face"…most (97%) of the botox used in the protocol for migraine is in the scalp. With the muscles in the scalp not being very large, the "pain relief" only lasts for 6-8 weeks for my system. The "frozen" or paralyzed parts (very top of forehead due to injections 1/2–1" within the hairline) and other parts of the scalp, are still paralyzed when a new dose is given, but pain relief has been exhausted by month 2.

Hitting the nerve right in front of the ear is always tried— sometimes gives better results or pain-free relief than at other times. My dentist, who is more knowledgeable than most docs on the trigeminal nerve, posed the idea of hitting the nerve directly, since she knows exactly where it is located. She said that thinking this through did not pan out. I'd be interested in how you fare with this technique, if you try it.

tiffanie said:

Thanks!

LyndaS said:
Hello, I've been using the migraine protocol with botox since 2009. It is wonderful as a migraine prevention, and for tn, some, not all, of the nerve is paralyzed and rendered immovable and painless. There are parts of the nerve that needs oral meds to .be less painful. I hope this may be something that helps you!

That’s what I thought you meant, but I was on my phone, so maybe not all features are active. I’ll try again later!

Richard A. “Red” Lawhern said:

Tiffanie… I had in mind the search box on OUR menus. The hits will be a bit more focused to your concern on-site.

{:slight_smile: Oh well…

Regards, Red

Hi LyndaS, The more I read, the more I feel positive about it. I will talk to my Neuro Dr. I want to get feedback, aside from a Dr.'s stats ! I wish you luck !

LyndaS said:

Regarding the "frozen face"…most (97%) of the botox used in the protocol for migraine is in the scalp. With the muscles in the scalp not being very large, the "pain relief" only lasts for 6-8 weeks for my system. The "frozen" or paralyzed parts (very top of forehead due to injections 1/2–1" within the hairline) and other parts of the scalp, are still paralyzed when a new dose is given, but pain relief has been exhausted by month 2.

Hitting the nerve right in front of the ear is always tried— sometimes gives better results or pain-free relief than at other times. My dentist, who is more knowledgeable than most docs on the trigeminal nerve, posed the idea of hitting the nerve directly, since she knows exactly where it is located. She said that thinking this through did not pan out. I'd be interested in how you fare with this technique, if you try it.

tiffanie said:

Thanks!

LyndaS said:
Hello, I've been using the migraine protocol with botox since 2009. It is wonderful as a migraine prevention, and for tn, some, not all, of the nerve is paralyzed and rendered immovable and painless. There are parts of the nerve that needs oral meds to .be less painful. I hope this may be something that helps you!

im in lake worth, trying botox to the muscle, but so far the nerve is bad. Tn doesnt show. i am on branches. im close to boca. who diagnosed you. thanks,

can you explain botox to the nerve which i think the jacksonville dr. is explaining, i had it to the muscle, after the mri, i had a really bad neuralgia attack, from eye to cheek, shoulder, arm, legs. right side. I am calling hopkins neuro. It is following a nerve root path. Like pinched nerves. i had to back to bed until i released all the fluid. i have a feeling i better call hopkins again. There are several nerves coming from the ear and neck muscle.

Hi Elaine

As far as I can tell, the Botox is injected to the nerve, basically temporarily killing it, until the Botox dissipates, and needs to be re-injected.

My Neuro is here in Boca, Morieau. He has been a good dr. for the past couple of years, but does not consider Botox injections a solution. Says only 2 options, meds or surgery. I am trying to locate Neuro's who have experience with it, to explain pros and cons. If it is an option for my case. You have alot of spread out pain. That has to be hard ! Mine is contained to the right upper side of my face. Good luck with your search for pain relief.

elaine48 said:

can you explain botox to the nerve which i think the jacksonville dr. is explaining, i had it to the muscle, after the mri, i had a really bad neuralgia attack, from eye to cheek, shoulder, arm, legs. right side. I am calling hopkins neuro. It is following a nerve root path. Like pinched nerves. i had to back to bed until i released all the fluid. i have a feeling i better call hopkins again. There are several nerves coming from the ear and neck muscle.

what would he say to an atypical patient, there are no operations other than my reconstructive. mine starts in the upper right by my lid and worsens by the cheek. I have a dr. in s. Florida for the botox, but we started with muscle so goes he do the nerve instead.It is extremely hard.

tiffanie said:

Hi Elaine

As far as I can tell, the Botox is injected to the nerve, basically temporarily killing it, until the Botox dissipates, and needs to be re-injected.

My Neuro is here in Boca, Morieau. He has been a good dr. for the past couple of years, but does not consider Botox injections a solution. Says only 2 options, meds or surgery. I am trying to locate Neuro's who have experience with it, to explain pros and cons. If it is an option for my case. You have alot of spread out pain. That has to be hard ! Mine is contained to the right upper side of my face. Good luck with your search for pain relief.

elaine48 said: