Bells Palsy and TN

YEAH...I have had Shingles AND Bells Palsy, all within 3 years of each other - it was 1999 to 2001. I was diagnosed with TN last year. I have wondered if there was a connection, but just never voiced it. That was indeed a rough time, I had Bells for about a month every 3-4 months for about a year and a half...but it pales in comparison to this TN! Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I had Bells Paulsy for 6 months att age 23, TN began at age 37. At first sign of TN, it reminded me of BP, but there was no drooping of 1/2 of my face. I went to the doc the day following a 3 -day migraine and facial shocks. I was given 5 days of prednisone, and the pain vanished. Once finished with the steroids, the pain came back. So began my TN journey. The BP was very painful, but not as painful as TN. The nerves involved are cranial nerves 5 & 7…very close in proximity of each other.

I had Bells and Shingles at the same time, also. It was about 15 years ago. I got TN on the same side as the Bells 7 years ago. Dr. swears the Bells is from a virus but at the time I had just gotten a new car and I thought it was from the air conditioning blowing on my face for a half hour. She said no. Little did I know, I wouldn't be able to have air blowing on my face after this TN.

I have had bells palsy 2 times i dont know if it is because we have tn or we r just rare lol

Lynda, a few people on here have mentioned how much Pred has helped, is it not worth staying on a small dose for ever if it worked? I think but I do not know this for sure, that a small daily dose of Pred does not do any harm - under 5mgs.

Had BP in July of '95 ,TN followed in October

Prednisone was not given right away for BP, I was told it was no big deal and would resolve itself. When it worsened went to another doc prescribed prednisone, but stated benefit was less because not given sooner.

Neuro docs said no connection, but pain from Bells followed by TN on same side has never seemed coincidental to me.

I had BP 3 years ago and developed TN pretty soon afterwards. I would say that the pain of BP has never really left me. I have just found a supporting article Il try and load it up.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Risks Associated with Bell's Palsy

Cranial Nerve Damage

Christine Cadena
Christine Cadena, Yahoo Contributor Network Apr 28, 2010 "Share your voice on Yahoo websites. Start Here."

Bell's palsy is a unique complication that affects thousands of adults each year. For many Bell's palsy sufferers, the complications with partial facial paralysis dissipate over time and lead to full recovery with few long term complications. For some Bell's palsy patients, there can be some challenges to recovery and complications that even affect speech and the ability to chew normally.

A condition known as trigeminal neuralgia is common among Bell's palsy patients but is typically a complication that is short term and does not pose long term health complications. Characterized by the normal nerve pain of Bell's palsy, many patients do not realize the complication may be more permanent and never completely resolve as the Bell's palsy begins to disappear.

Affecting the fifth cranial nerve, the trigeminal nerve is responsible for the feeling and sensations we experience in the jawbone area but also the area around the eyes as well as the nose. When Bell's palsy affects the health of the fifth cranial nerve, complications associated with pain, swelling and inflammation around the mouth, nose and eyes is quite common. Typically, as the movement in the face re-appears, and the paralysis of Bell's palsy goes away, this type of swelling and pain will continue for the long term.

If you find that you are suffering from trigeminal neuralgia after Bell's palsy, it is important to ask your doctor what medications you can use to control the inflammation and pain. Typically, a prescription anti-inflammatory medication will be recommended but some physicians may also recommend the use of a prescription steroid medication as well. Facial massage may also be recommended by a massage therapist as this helps to relax the facial muscles while the fifth cranial nerve works to regenerate.

Long term pain and swelling of the face is a complication of Bell's palsy for which there are few treatment options. If you are diagnosed with Bell's palsy, it is important to follow your doctor's orders and to comply with treatment and therapy programs that will help to prevent nerve damage in the face. If trigeminal neuralgia is a complication, expect to use medications for the remainder of your life and work diligently to reduce swelling and pain to ensure you chewing and speech is not adversely affected.

Sources: Bell's Palsy Medical Guide, by Qontro Medical Guides, pp. 237-239.

DISCLOSURE OF MATERIAL CONNECTION: The Contributor has no connection to nor was paid by the brand or product described in this content.

Many thanks for this information. Reinforces how the lack of knowledge about TN contributes to our pain.

Helen said:

Trigeminal Neuralgia Risks Associated with Bell's Palsy

Cranial Nerve Damage

Christine Cadena
Christine Cadena, Yahoo Contributor Network Apr 28, 2010 "Share your voice on Yahoo websites. Start Here."

Bell's palsy is a unique complication that affects thousands of adults each year. For many Bell's palsy sufferers, the complications with partial facial paralysis dissipate over time and lead to full recovery with few long term complications. For some Bell's palsy patients, there can be some challenges to recovery and complications that even affect speech and the ability to chew normally.

A condition known as trigeminal neuralgia is common among Bell's palsy patients but is typically a complication that is short term and does not pose long term health complications. Characterized by the normal nerve pain of Bell's palsy, many patients do not realize the complication may be more permanent and never completely resolve as the Bell's palsy begins to disappear.

Affecting the fifth cranial nerve, the trigeminal nerve is responsible for the feeling and sensations we experience in the jawbone area but also the area around the eyes as well as the nose. When Bell's palsy affects the health of the fifth cranial nerve, complications associated with pain, swelling and inflammation around the mouth, nose and eyes is quite common. Typically, as the movement in the face re-appears, and the paralysis of Bell's palsy goes away, this type of swelling and pain will continue for the long term.

If you find that you are suffering from trigeminal neuralgia after Bell's palsy, it is important to ask your doctor what medications you can use to control the inflammation and pain. Typically, a prescription anti-inflammatory medication will be recommended but some physicians may also recommend the use of a prescription steroid medication as well. Facial massage may also be recommended by a massage therapist as this helps to relax the facial muscles while the fifth cranial nerve works to regenerate.

Long term pain and swelling of the face is a complication of Bell's palsy for which there are few treatment options. If you are diagnosed with Bell's palsy, it is important to follow your doctor's orders and to comply with treatment and therapy programs that will help to prevent nerve damage in the face. If trigeminal neuralgia is a complication, expect to use medications for the remainder of your life and work diligently to reduce swelling and pain to ensure you chewing and speech is not adversely affected.

Sources: Bell's Palsy Medical Guide, by Qontro Medical Guides, pp. 237-239.

DISCLOSURE OF MATERIAL CONNECTION: The Contributor has no connection to nor was paid by the brand or product described in this content.

Guys, unfortunately the information above is only partially accurate. I will be talking early next week with a neurosurgeon over the weekend about some serious nuances that have been missed.

I'll get back to you.

Regards, Red

I have had bells palsy twice. Once at approximately 14 and again at 22. I am now 31 and have had trigeminal neuralgia for 4 years. Thought I was the only weird one too. What has helped you, if anything?

I had Bells Palsy 3 times before developing TN, twice on the right side several years apart (1997 and 2005) and then in 2012 on the left side. My TN developed shortly after the Bells Palsy in 2012.

I am 49 years and in late 2013 was put in touch with a 28 year old living in the same town as myself by the local medical centre who had also had BP three times and developed TN shortly after the 3rd BP!!.I had never met or heard of this young man and the first time we spoke was over the phone in late 2013. We were both spooked, we had been having treatment in different county areas and had never heard of TN or anyone else with the condition prior to our confirmed diagnosis.

I am not offering up any theory but just stating facts. Our conditions have both been very resistant to treatment and we have also both lost extremely good jobs due to TN.

One last spooky thing- we both presented at separate hospitals a month apart (Aug and Sept 2012) and both only went as our BP was accompanied by severe ear pain that was diagnosed as shingles (Ramsay Hunt syndrome)- as I said- no theory but just stating facts.

Just to clarify- In both cases our conditions progressed from Ramsay Hunt to TN

bradyboy said:

I had Bells Palsy 3 times before developing TN, twice on the right side several years apart (1997 and 2005) and then in 2012 on the left side. My TN developed shortly after the Bells Palsy in 2012.

I am 49 years and in late 2013 was put in touch with a 28 year old living in the same town as myself by the local medical centre who had also had BP three times and developed TN shortly after the 3rd BP!!.I had never met or heard of this young man and the first time we spoke was over the phone in late 2013. We were both spooked, we had been having treatment in different county areas and had never heard of TN or anyone else with the condition prior to our confirmed diagnosis.

I am not offering up any theory but just stating facts. Our conditions have both been very resistant to treatment and we have also both lost extremely good jobs due to TN.

One last spooky thing- we both presented at separate hospitals a month apart (Aug and Sept 2012) and both only went as our BP was accompanied by severe ear pain that was diagnosed as shingles (Ramsay Hunt syndrome)- as I said- no theory but just stating facts.