Amitriptyline Dosage

I would like some feedback from anyone who has had success with Amitriptyline. Mainly for ATN tooth, tongue, mouth pain please.

I am on 40mgs which has kept me pain free for eight months. I am dealing with some new pain on the other side in spite of that. I am wondering if I should increase the dose instead of now trying Lyrica in conjunction with it. I will talk to my doctor before making any decisions but I thought I should look into it and am wondering if I (and my dr.) have made the right choice by starting Lyrica.

Thanks everyone

I would ask pharmacist…

I would always raise one med first

Rather than add a second… Read up on lyrica side effects.

Also put in search box here!

Im on a sister med to that medication nortriptyline I take 75 mg a day not sure if the dosages are the same but even at 50 mg I didn't get enough relief. Im glad I was patient and kept increasing the med with the doctors permission ofcoarse. I personally think you should just be able to up the one med. vs adding another If you have any questions feel free to write me!

Justjane I am on 100mg Lyrica 2x a day for the past 10 days.....it was working pretty well until Friday and then all hell broke loose........experiencing a constant 3/4 pain level with some 8/9 breakthroughs... Lyrica has made me feel dulled down, sad, hopeless, not my usual cheerful smiling self...I also have a dry mouth and constipation....I'm getting a tooth pulled Tues. and am hoping I feel better after that....I really thought Lyrica was good for me but maybe I just need a higher dosage. I started out at 25mg about 6 weeks ago. Good luck....

Thanks Turtlebug,

Yeah, so far I am not liking the Lyrica. It is making me feel very yucky! All of these meds have side effects and you should get used to it in time. I am also on Amitriptyline though. I am thinking my dr. and I made a big mistake starting Lyrica instead of trying to increase the Amitriptyline first.

I was honestly in such a state last week that I would have done anything she said. I was overtired and just wasn't thinking. I am going to see her again tomorrow to talk about it.

I replied to your discussion about your tooth. Be so careful with the dentist! I had a completely unnecessary root canal last year. Even with a history of TN my dentist talked me into doing it. Yeah, well it didn't work at all and possibly made things worse!

Turtlebug said:

Justjane I am on 100mg Lyrica 2x a day for the past 10 days.....it was working pretty well until Friday and then all hell broke loose........experiencing a constant 3/4 pain level with some 8/9 breakthroughs... Lyrica has made me feel dulled down, sad, hopeless, not my usual cheerful smiling self...I also have a dry mouth and constipation....I'm getting a tooth pulled Tues. and am hoping I feel better after that....I really thought Lyrica was good for me but maybe I just need a higher dosage. I started out at 25mg about 6 weeks ago. Good luck....

I worked up from 75mgs of Amitriptyline to 150 mgs a day. I do not like Lyrica at all, ever!. I changed to the Amitriptyline from Tegretol because of bad side affects.

I'm not sure how everything/anything is really working right now. I just know the dizziness and balance issues aren't issues anymore so that's good for me. I'm having more breakthrough pain but it's controllable, kinda...

Keep on working towards the combo that works for you friend. Be sweet to yourself!

Always~Laurel aka shinglesdidit

Thanks shinglesdidit.

I tried Tegretol only for two days and it was horrible!

I am seeing my dr tomorrow to increase the Amitriptyline instead. I am only at 40mgs. I have been taking a starting dose of Lyrica for the past week and don't feel too great. Better to stay with one med and Amitriptyline has always worked well for me.