A light at the end of the tunnel

So I haven’t been on in a while. I have been busy with the holidays, doctors appointments, family, and work. I was referred to a neurosurgeon to evaluate my options. I was not so thrilled to entertain the idea of gamma knife or MVD. In the mean time, I looked into the Atlas procedure. There were only 2 certified chiropractors in my area. In my first appointment, she did an evaluation and took x rays. Of course it showed that I was out of alignment. I was a little leery about all of this. How can a chiropractor help me? She used a tool that looked like a drill with a probe on it. This delivers a gentle tap to the area. At the time I was thinking “what kind of snake oil is she selling? There is no way that 3-4 little taps on my spine/skull can do anything.”. Holy cow was I wrong!!! That night I could barely sleep. I felt like I had been in a car accident. I have now been going twice a week since the last week in December. I am no longer on the tegretol. I have reduced the amount of neurontin I am taking. I have more good days than bad!!! I think that I am going to submit her for sainthood!!
Now, back to that neurosurgeon. I had a more specific MRI to evaluate the nerve involvement. No surprise that it showed nothing. He doesn’t believe in type 2. He feels that “type 2” is more of a headache disorder. My “type 1” has diminished and I can’t immediately trigger it so he feels that the surgery would not be the answer. So now it is back to the neurologist.
I still have “lightning” occasionally. It is now on both sides. (another reason why he tanks that it is not true TN). Most of the time I can tolerate it. I’m not sure if it is the medicine, the chiropractic treatments, or that I’m developing better coping skills. Knowing what to expect is half the battle. My “type 2” is almost completely gone. I just went for a walk…outside…with a brisk wind blowing… no ear pain, no face pain, NO PAIN!!! For the average person this doesn’t this doesn’t mean much. For me this is HUGE!!! I haven’t worn a hat in 2-3 weeks, even with temperatures in the 20’s and wind:). I still can’t wear a headband yet. I can live with that. I have so much more energy now that the constant pain is diminished or gone. I’ve started exercising! I know, shocking:).
The Atlas, or upper cervicle procedure, may not be the answer for everyone, but it is definitely working for me. I am slowly getting my life back!!! I didn’t think it would happen. I thought that chronic pain was the new norm. That going to bed at 7:30 because the pain had worn me out so much was acceptable. I was exhausted just trying to figure out how to allot my energy between work, family, and time for myself. I could only choose one per day. I don’t remember the last nap I’ve had to take. I’m not saying that I’m cured, but I know what treatment is working for now and how to cope when I have a flare. To me, that is success!!!
The MD told me that most people stop blogging or sharing their insights when they feel better. He said that they blog out of desperation to find some cure or advice. I can see that. I just wanted to be sure that I was not “most people”. I challenge everyone to do the same! Share your successes as well as your setbacks. I will keep you posted!

Doll face, I’m sooooo super happy for you!! Thanks for sharing! Whatever it is that’s working, it’s working and that’s all that matters!
I wish you continued “good” days and yes, please continue to check in and let us know how you’re doing!
(((( hugs )))) Mimi xx

This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing :-)

I'll have to do some research about chiropractos and the Atlas treatment here in southern Israel.

Keep feeling good!

Maris

I tried the Atlas upper cervical treatment. It worked for me too, but only for 6 months until I had my latest attack, which I am still trying to recover from 6 weeks later. He has told me that mine has now gone beyond him being able to relieve any pain. If anyone lives in Sydney and is interested in trying chiro treatment, check out Joe Ierano. He has rooms in Crows Nest, Castle Hill and Narellan different days of the week. Lovely bloke, very sympathetic to our condition, give him a try.

Congrats! So glad to read you are feeling much better.
I’m confused though. Did u say u felt like u were hit by a truck the first night after the procedure? Can u explain this part of it further???
Again, thrilled that u are doing so much better!!!