Would Anyone Like to Be a Volunteer Moderator?

Hi Everyone - hope you are enjoying the site. We set it up so folks could connect and share info and support. The network is really what you make it and it's growing really nicely. I can see lot's of love and support happening here on a daily basis.

Most of you probably know that Ben's Friends (www.bensfriends.org) runs this group and we run 34 other sites just like it. We have 80,000 patients and loved ones logging on every month to find support.

A big part of providing support and having a great network is having a few dedicated Moderators. In the early days this involves greeting people when they join and spreading the word on Facebook and blogs about the site.

Does anyone want to volunteer? We'd love to have your help. We already have a wonderful group of dedicated Moderators here who can train you. We're just looking for a couple more to help out. You can always ask me questions. :)

Let me know if you are interested.

thx

Scott

Am considering it.

thanks saraiderin!

I think I am finally in the position to be able to do some volunteer mod'ing. Please let me know what is involved. Thanks so much! Susan

This site was an absolute God -send to me when I was first diagnosed and has continued to be a good touch stone..so to speak. I would love to be as helpful to others. What is involved in being a moderator?

Scott, I might be interested, depending on what type of time commitment it involves. Please let me know what would be expected of me.

Thanks everyone for the interest. the basics are to greet new members when they sign up and to be their to answer questions. Paying attention to your own health is most important and then helping others as best as possible is next. :)

Hi Scott

My first thought was - where will I get the time? My second thought was - how can I not make the time.

I would like to spread the site in Australia. Your site is the only one where I have been able to read about what is wrong with me and know that I am not alone. I really appreciate what you and the others do to keep us informed and connected.

Riana

Scott, I like that you stated paying attention to your own health is important, then helping others.... as that is my concern. Sometimes I go thru bouts when I just can't do anything. Other times, I think I would be a great moderator and would benefit from helping others. How does one answer other members questions when you are not an expert on the subject. Are we supplied with access to common answers to questions or a "mentor" for the moderator?

Scott Orn said:

Thanks everyone for the interest. the basics are to greet new members when they sign up and to be their to answer questions. Paying attention to your own health is most important and then helping others as best as possible is next. :)

Hi Scott, I’d be happy to help! Meagan

Good questions Gail. You're not so much answering technical questions as answering questions like "where are the discussions?" or how do I post a picture?

We're not asking you to be a medical expert. In fact we go out of our way to say we are not. We're just trying to make people feel welcome and point them in the right direction. :)

Scott

thanks Mojo!

Hi Scott,

I would be willing to help if needed.

Danna

Scott, after reading your responses, I am definitely interested (along with several others) how do we go about applying to be a Volunteer?

Scott,

I see you have already received quite a few responses. If you are still in need of help I would be happy to pitch in.

Hi Scott, would love to help out. What are the next steps? Smiley :)

thanks Smiley. I'm pushing out the Ben's Friends ebook and annual fundraiser. I'll circle back around in a few days.

thanks so much for the interest everyone. This is going to be a big help!

Scott, et al., Gail asked what I think is a pertinent question:

"I like that you stated paying attention to your own health is important, then helping others.... as that is my concern. Sometimes I go thru bouts when I just can't do anything. Other times, I think I would be a great moderator and would benefit from helping others. How does one answer other members questions when you are not an expert on the subject. Are we supplied with access to common answers to questions or a "mentor" for the moderator?"

In a strictly unofficial way, I've been a mentor for both moderators and members at Living With TN for the past four years since 2009. (Time flies when you're having fun, I guess). I've been active for 18 years, in reading and translating the medical literature of neurological pain for chronic face pain patients. My spouse has bilateral Type I and Type II TN pain herself. I sat three years on the Board of Directors for the US TN Association, and I rebuilt their website as their webmaster. I've also written quite a bit of the information in our Face Pain Info and Resources tabs on the menu above.

I will be happy to continue providing backup for new and established Moderators. You will multiply any effectiveness that I can have as an individual, serving a membership of nearly 5,000 with a hundred joining up every three weeks. We can work together and leverage from each other's experience, either in the public forums or more privately and out of view via site private email. I won't jog your elbows or be your critic in public. I also have a fair amount of training in "working with difficult people" as I've moderated in social networking sites and on the old USENET, since 1990.

Even as you learn the technical background of this disorder, you can bring a kind heart and patient ears to patient greeting, followup, and support. One of the most important things we do is to let people and their concerns be heard in constructive ways. The message "you are not alone" is a very powerful one.

Go in Peace and Power

Red Lawhern, Ph.D.

Resident Research Analyst, LwTN

Happy Holidays everyone! Ok, we're finally ready to bring in a new batch of Moderators. There was a lot of volunteers here. If you could send me a message saying you are still interested, we'll bring you into the fold immediately.

The basics of being a moderator are approving and greeting new members, and then being there to point them in the right direction while they are learning to use the site. We're not giving medical advice since none of us are doctors. Think of it as being a special friend on the site. You're there when people need you.

Let me know if there are more questions. We will start admitting new Moderators whenever you message me. I think the existing Moderators will help show you the ropes and we've put together a bunch of info that you can read too.

Most of all it's a fun thing to do and it makes you feel really good. :)

Scott

Hi Scott,

I'm definitely still interested and happy to help, just let me know!

Thanks!

Meagan

Scott Orn said:

Happy Holidays everyone! Ok, we're finally ready to bring in a new batch of Moderators. There was a lot of volunteers here. If you could send me a message saying you are still interested, we'll bring you into the fold immediately.

The basics of being a moderator are approving and greeting new members, and then being there to point them in the right direction while they are learning to use the site. We're not giving medical advice since none of us are doctors. Think of it as being a special friend on the site. You're there when people need you.

Let me know if there are more questions. We will start admitting new Moderators whenever you message me. I think the existing Moderators will help show you the ropes and we've put together a bunch of info that you can read too.

Most of all it's a fun thing to do and it makes you feel really good. :)

Scott