Treatment Option for BiLateral TN

I have had TN on my left side for approx 5 years. In that time I have had some minor activity on my right side (compared to the left) ~ Mostly on the top branch (forehead).

I am curious - If I were to have an MVD done on my bad, left side I assume I will still have to treat the right side with medication? From the research I have done, it seems like I may be a good candidate for an MVD (other than the bilateral issue)

What are the treatment options out there? I am especially interested in hearing from people that have similar stories to mine, with one side much worse than the other.

I would like to have some more information before my next neurologist appointment so I can ask the right questions.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

When I had my MVD, I had just begun to have bilateral pain, too. My neurosurgeon said that he could only address one side at a time. I believe you are correct in that you still have to treat the other side with meds. Maybe your neurologist will have more info for you.

So far two interesting and different replies. Lots to discuss at my appointment.

Thanks Ladies

i have pain on both sides, tn test was negative. abnormal emg. irritated nerve roots. what other tests are there for diagnosis?

hugs to all.

Elaine48

This was a fairly old post, but I see you are asking a diagnostic question. I'm not good at answering those. I have noticed you posting since you found the site but I am not familiar with your case. Its odd that you are presenting symptoms, possible bi-lateral: but they are saying NO TN. I suggest posing a series of questions to Red. He is extremely knowledgable and will research an answer if he doesn't know it. Stef is also quite up to date on that pesky term "atypical facial pain" - not TN, but a loose term used to describe pain in the face that can't be pigionholed into any other diagnosis.

Elaine

elaine48 said:

i have pain on both sides, tn test was negative. abnormal emg. irritated nerve roots. what other tests are there for diagnosis?

hugs to all.

ok. thanks!

Elaine Iles said:

Elaine48

This was a fairly old post, but I see you are asking a diagnostic question. I'm not good at answering those. I have noticed you posting since you found the site but I am not familiar with your case. Its odd that you are presenting symptoms, possible bi-lateral: but they are saying NO TN. I suggest posing a series of questions to Red. He is extremely knowledgable and will research an answer if he doesn't know it. Stef is also quite up to date on that pesky term "atypical facial pain" - not TN, but a loose term used to describe pain in the face that can't be pigionholed into any other diagnosis.

Elaine

elaine48 said:

hugs to all.

Elaine, I have bi-lateral TN. My TN on the rightside is TN2 and TN3 and on my left side it is on TN2. I also have ON bi-laterally. My condition was caused by a compression injury from the top of my scull. I think the TN injuries were not unusual because of the cause of the injury. I have been in this condition for a long time. I think the cause of the pain helped the various neuralogists involved in my treatment know immediately the right diagnosis. I guess I was fortunate. Anti-convulsives, other meds, nerve blocks every two to three weeks and a few ON rhizotomies have helped to ease a little of the pain. As you know, with acute pain a drop from 9 to 8 makes a big difference. TommyR

Elaine Iles said:

So far two interesting and different replies. Lots to discuss at my appointment.

Thanks Ladies