TN worse after MRI?

Hi all. I have just found this site and maybe I don't even belong here... my neurologist hasn't officially christened the hot, stabbing, zingers that I am having on a daily basis in BOTH sides of my face and head as TN. However, my rheumatologist (I have psoriatic arthritis) was first to suggest that it was TN. I see the neuro on Monday, after having the MRI and keeping a pain diary, so we'll see.

My question is, are there any of you guys who have come out of an MRI like you were suffering from a concussion? I had the MRI on Wed of this past wk. I told the attendant that I had exquisitely sensitive hearing and she took extra steps to protect my hearing. However, the noise was almost unbearable. It felt as if it was reverberating through my head, and like screwdrivers were being pounded into my ears. When I came out of the machine, I had vertigo for about 15 minutes (as well as the pain set off like fireworks in my face and head). I was also somewhat disoriented for about 30 minutes afterward and it took me about 10 minutes to remember where I parked my car. And, yes, I drove myself home, and it is probably the grace of God that kept me from having a wreck and, no, I will not repeat that activity any time soon.

The next day, I had one of the worst days that I have had with this demon ailment since it first started 3 1/2 years ago. So, if any of you have had similar experiences with an MRI of your head, I would be interested to know.

Also, (this may need to be a separate discussion) I would be curious to know if there are any of you with autoimmune disorders that have been linked to the TN.

Thanks you guys, and I'm glad that I have found you.

Hi sorry to hear the MRI had such an effect but I am not surprised. I developed Temporal Artrites which is a autoimmune condition at the same time as TN1. My Rheumy is unsure if there is a link and also found it difficult to believe i could have two uncommon conditions developing at the same time!

My Neuro confirmed both conditions and thinks the TA triggered the TN. I have had no further attacks since my first 10 months ago, but I now have TN2 on an almost daily basis. I am concerned that the TN2 may become worse as I am on a reduction plan to taper off the Pred. My TA seems under control but is the TN?

My Rheumy diagnosed TN2 as I thought it was symptoms of the TA coming back (both alike in the face) but as my steroid intake was so high, she said it was the TN, I had never heard of TN2 and thought it is not TN as it is not the same pain as before but now thanks to this site I understand TN2.

I havent had my mri yet, it was ordered last week but apparently hasnt been scheduled yet. I am very noise and vibration sensitive (both my TN and sensory integration disorder) and I asked my dr if there was something we could do to help this, they are going to sedate me at least partially. I need to have this done and i know it i am just really concerned about it setting off much worse episodes as it did for you. I thank you for posting, i was told i was worrying for nothing, clearly that isnt true.

Some people are very sound and pressure-sensitive. Your reaction to MRI is a bit unusual, but certainly not unheard of.

Pain in the trigeminal system can be a symptom of Temporal Arteritis, MS plaques, auto-immune disorders (Lyme, Lupus), or Fibromyealgia. One might question whether this type of face pain is actually "trigeminal neuralgia" as such, though the range of treatments will generally be the same for meds. The major difference will be that none of the destructive surgeries (Gamma Knife, Rhizotomy) is generally considered a good option when the apparent source of pain is in these categories.

Regards, Red