Temporary Relief Ideas?

I am brand new here. I have pain every day for the whole day to varying degrees (TN2). I am in between trying medications (Nortryptiline helped a little but had a ton of side effects, so I am off of it) and I leave town in 36 hours for a family reunion...

Is there something my doctor can give me for when the pain is unbearable?

I just want to enjoy everyone's company and not put a damper on the reunion the best I can. If I had something that could give me an hour or two to be able to enjoy dinner time with everyone, for example, that would be a huge relief.

When I get back I can return to the drawing board with my neurologist for a more permanent solution. Thank you for your help : )

I have TN2 - Atypical

If your pain is inside the mouth, lidocaine mouthwash works well. You could also get a dentist to do a nerve block.

Thanks. My pain is above my teeth up to the bottoms of my eyes. I will ask my oral surgeon about the nerve block tomorrow.

My GP has prescribed codeine for things like this. It does not remove the pain, but takes the edge of and makes a noise-triggered person like me able to spend a day at a music festival. (I have both types and it works on both). However, you need to have a totally unaddictive personality for meds like these. I can totally see how it could take a pain-ridden life over. Additionally, you might get hangovers and more pain the next day, and it may interact with your meds. Be sure to get this from a doctor, not a friend's cabinet.

But - this is really not a long-term plan! there is a reason we are prescribed anticonvulsants etc, and not painkillers: in the long run it "dumbs" the brain down so it will let more pain through, which I find is a good reason for not getting addicted!

Amitriptyline sometimes works better than Nortriptyline. They're in the same medication class. A lidocaine cream may also be helpful on your cheek, but must be kept out of the eye.

Regards

Thanks Tineline!

Tineline said:

My GP has prescribed codeine for things like this. It does not remove the pain, but takes the edge of and makes a noise-triggered person like me able to spend a day at a music festival. (I have both types and it works on both). However, you need to have a totally unaddictive personality for meds like these. I can totally see how it could take a pain-ridden life over. Additionally, you might get hangovers and more pain the next day, and it may interact with your meds. Be sure to get this from a doctor, not a friend's cabinet.

But - this is really not a long-term plan! there is a reason we are prescribed anticonvulsants etc, and not painkillers: in the long run it "dumbs" the brain down so it will let more pain through, which I find is a good reason for not getting addicted!

Thank you Red

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

Amitriptyline sometimes works better than Nortriptyline. They're in the same medication class. A lidocaine cream may also be helpful on your cheek, but must be kept out of the eye.

Regards