Scheduled for MVD...December 17, 2013

Good morning,afternoon or evening wherever you are;

I was diagnosed with TN in June 2013 and it has been brutal for me. I've seen several neurologists including a neurosurgeon with no relief! Finally my sister googled and found Dr. Robert Mericle in Nashville TN...about 3 hours from my hometown of Memphis. I went into his office and everything was great. The entire staff was very knowledgeable of TN and made the visit the best of any I've had since being diagnosed. All of that said I am scheduled for my MVD surgery on 12/17/2013 and just wanted to know what I needed to do to prepare myself before and after the surgery! I'm not really nervous and that could be based on the fact that I've been in excruciating pain all morning which makes me want the surgery now!! Any suggestions, things I should take or not take, what I should look forward to and recovery time. Thanking you in advance....

Here are 73 answers to this question, from a few days ago!!! : )

http://www.livingwithtn.org/forum/topics/what-are-your-experiences-after-mvd

Aside from reading through the link KC provided, head over to the MVD group page as well…there’s a wealth of information regarding your questions and concerns.
(( hugs )) Mimi

Congratulations on the scheduling of your MVD. I know you have been suffering greatly. I think practicing deep relaxation and general positive mood enhancement (as much as possible giving the circumstances). Good healthy eating, knowing as much as possible about the surgery, getting your support team in place. Here is a great looking book from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Prepare-Surgery-Heal-Faster-Techniques/dp/0964575744. Best of luck and keep us up to date! Tina

Best of luck to you girl. I’ll be praying for you. Xo

Congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you! I live in Munford, just north of you! We should try to get together in the new year sometime after you feel better. PLEASE keep me posted. I am going to friend you. :-)

Hi there! First, I applaud you for making the decision to have an MVD! I had my first shocks and was diagnosed in January of this year and by early March, I knew I was going to have an MVD. I just needed to find the surgeon that I was going to have do it. My family thought I was crazy and rushing into this "brain surgery" so quickly. They of course have since come on board as I just had my MVD 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had the surgery booked though in July. I think when life hands you this kind of pain, you do all you can to know everything you can about it. I made it my mission to find out all I could about it and how I was going to fix it. MVD was the only solution I could find that fixed the problem so I knew early on that is what I was going to do. I did find my surgeon and like you, I went out of town, from Indianapolis to Detroit for Dr. Casey.

I booked my surgery in July but had to wait until October because of scheduling issues with me mainly - my mother-in-law and mother being able to come help me, big events for the kids (16th bday, homecoming, etc.). I knew I might be set back for up to 6 weeks and as all us busy moms know that the world (our family's world) will fall apart in half that time. So I had to plan. So in addition to all that, I knew I wanted to get my body ready for this surgery the best I could. On a recommendation I read on this site, I purchased a book "The Rapid Recovery Handbook" by Elizabeth G. Motyka, MD and some others and a forward by Dr. Oz. It gives all kinds of advice on how to prepare your body before surgery - foods to eat, supplements, and alternative steps. I followed it about 50% (it's a lot) and I have had zero complications, more energy than I would ever have though, am easily walking now 4 miles a day and will pick that up to a run this weekend. I've still had to have pain killers and now just tylenol and ibuprofen here or there but my recovery has been unbelievably easy so far. I still have my MIL here and my mom here next week so I'm obviously taking advantage of the laundry, dishes, chores and carpooling all being done for me so I can read some good books and have a nice break :). But I feel awesome like I could do all that if I had to.

Best wishes to you and know on those tough days that your solution is around the corner. I will pray for you.

Thank you mybell…I’m glad you are doing well and I pray your recovery turns into restoration and that you will continue to be pain free! Like you…after doing all the research my goal was and has always been MVD.
.because I wanted something that would last with the least side effects…but finding a doctor to take me seriously was hard. Im glad my sister took me and my pain serious enough to research and find a doctor willing to help! ! Now I know that everyone is different but I’m claiming a successful surgery awesome recovery and years of pain free living! God bless. …