Question for everyone

Hi all,
Being still new to having this I’ve read a lot people having pain in there cheeks teeth etc, my pain is behind my right eye thank God it doesn’t last long however when it does it feels like someone is stabbing me in the eye with a knife I can’t help not to scream when it hits, I had been pain free for 2 weeks till this morning does any any one else have this kind of symptom? Thanks in advance for any feed back
Ted

Hi Ted.. I do have pain in my upper cheek and about my eye into my temple. My new Neurologist actually should me a model of the Trigenimal nerves and it looks as if it will effect many differently and the nerve goes to quite a bit of the face. I get sharp stabs like I have someone sticking a 110v cord behind my right ear going to my cheek.. above my eye and forehead and the top/front of my head mostly on the right side but I have has this go on the left but not often.I also get sharp pain into my right side of my throat to where I can't swallow. many times after the stabs are gone.. the skin or even my hair is sensitive to touch for a day.

but I can't imagine what it feels like to have the stab into my eye..what medications are you taking. are you diagnosed?

I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia and I’m on Gabapentin 600mg morning and night I get the shocks behind my eye as well,those I consider mild to the stabbing feeling it scares the hell out of me

OMG

• how are you functioning on that much gabapentin? The eye is still happening with that much? You should call your doctor - in the meantime try applying some heat and keeping that eye closed to lights
    Good luck!

Hello Ted,

I also get this stabbing pain behind my eye its absolutely excruciating! I am not currently on any medication (I have an appointment on Thursday and will probably be put on some) but sometimes putting a warm compress over my eye helps. Hope you have a pain free day

I am so sorry! I also have the stabbing in my right eye, along with major pressure behind my right eye. I was having those attacks about every ten days and they would last a day or two.I would hide inn the dark sobbing and my grandson would bring cold rags to me every few mins. I asked to be put on lyrics back in April, two hundred mgs. a day.I have only had those terrible attacks about 4 or 5 times since. I have lots of tn pain in other areas of my face and head,I have constant burning boring pain that is terrible but I do get Ted, that the eye pain was for me the most horrible! I believe that the Lord led me to the lyrica,even though the side affects at 1st bothered me but left after a couple weeks. You will probably here good and bad about lyrics.I chose to try it anyway, it has saved me from thoughts of ending my life.Ted, I hope you get relief very soon! Dawn

Ask doctoral lidocaine mouthwash
and lidocaine nose-spray maybe

Ted, I have those eye pains, it feels as if I am being stabbed by a needle in the eye, Red did say they are characteristic of TN, sorry. I know how scary they are. My Gabapentin does not seem to stop this particular pain for me, alas. Thankfully they are intermittent.

Thanks all Jackie the Gabapentin seems to help, I think anyway have you noticed change in weather deducting it more?

Yes, I got that. Years ago my doctor thought these were a type of migraine. And at first they did respond to typical migraine medication. As time went on those meds no longer worked and we slowly pieced together that my sinus problems, teeth problems and migraines were actually all TN. When I get mine behind the eye, it typically lasts for hours and even effects my vision to some extent at times.

My TN started with right eye pain - like a dagger driven in the eye to the back of the head. I was on Gabapentin (but only a small dose), but it didn't do anything for me. My neurologist is out of the country, so I saw my regular dr and he gave me a prescription for Tegretol (Carbamazepine) and i was symptom free overnight. He started me out on 400mg, but it made me incredibly tired. So I have been playing around with the dosage. I take 1/2 pill at night (100 mg) and then if I feel any symptoms during the following day, I will take the entire pill that night. It has been almost 2 weeks and I'm without pain so far. When I stop having any symptoms entirely, I will try to go off of it (hoping for a case of remission). Everyone is different, maybe you need to change medications. Good luck!

I have dreadful eye pain. Recently I’ve had a nerve block in my occipital nerve. Today tho the eye stabbing is back. I am coming off pregablin at the moment too. I get lots of yr symptoms too. Driving me to distraction. Good luck hon x

I too get the stabbing eye pain, not as often as the teeth feeling pain, but when it hits it can be bad. I agree call your Dr tomorrow. As for functioning on that much Gabapentin, I am on a much higher dose and functional everyday. Have some breakthrough pain as described, but the Gabapentin has been a life saver for me.

Thanks all! I do function well on My gabapentin the first week was tough but much better now, I have noticed that I have a harder time finding words when I speak and am more forgetful then I used to be, people talk about triggers but I haven’t found what they are yet for me

I found the longer Iv taken pregablin the worse it makes mefeel. Hope u r doing OK this eve ted. My eyes and teeth have driven me crazy today x

I appreciate all your help, I really hate the fact that I have this I have always had a high tolerance of pain, but this is takes the cake, today I was at our local flee market and this lady about collapsed in front of me, I asked her if she was ok and she said she would be she went on to explain she had TN wow what a small world neither of us have ever met someone who had it, she was diagnosed five years ago, I told her about this site and how wonderful every one is on here, thanks so much for all your support

Wow, that really is strange. I've only had this thing a little over 2 years and I've been trying to subtly ask people if they've ever heard of anyone who has had it and found no one so far.

Goodness ted small world. What a poor lady. Hi DL. I ask people all the time!!! II’m obsessed. I’ll tell u something sad now! Its way past my bedtime but I’m putting it off because I’m dreading tomorrow. Sad state huh?!!
By the way I no I’m going way off topic now but ladies has anyone else noted how dashed handsome ted is? Ted u r very dashing… congratulations!
Goodnight all wishing we all have a pieceful night/ day xx

Lol thank you Helen I’ll take all the compliments I can for an old man ! Bed time ? We’re do you live UK?

Helen said:

Goodness ted small world. What a poor lady. Hi DL. I ask people all the time!!! II’m obsessed. I’ll tell u something sad now! Its way past my bedtime but I’m putting it off because I’m dreading tomorrow. Sad state huh?!!
By the way I no I’m going way off topic now but ladies has anyone else noted how dashed handsome ted is? Ted u r very dashing… congratulations!

Goodnight all wishing we all have a pieceful night/ day xx