Question about Neurontin

I am on 100mg Neurontin three times daily. I just started it about 5 days ago. I was taking it once daily, and had releif, but then yesterday I had a bad day and took it the 3 times as prescribed. Today I really don't have that much pain and don't want to take it. My question is can i take it as needed, or do I have to keep taking it to keep the levels in my body up, and if I go up and down with the does, is this one of those meds that I could have a seizure(I wouldn't think with such a low dose). Any advice is appreciated.

You need a regular dose and it will take possibly a couple of weeks to build up in your system and start to work. No, you will not have seizures as neurontin is actually prescribed to epileptics to prevent seizures. That is a really small dose (but it is right to start off very low and gradually increase it, most people need to work up to 1800mg/day to get relief properly, some people like me even more than that). So please take it regularly three times a day and if after a few weeks you still have pain talk to your doctor about a regimen to increase the dose at intervals of weeks-months.

Thanks Porcelina! I just hate to up my dose! I want to stay at my low dose :( I would rather just take it as needed, because from what I read hear, it looks like an increase is inevitable. I will say today was good, and I ate solid food, alot of it! I think I over indulged after living on milkshakes and mashed potatoes for about a month! Does this med make it difficult to sleep? I've noticed I'm not sleeping as well, even though I do take my Klonopin at night.

I was wondering, even though one is not feeling the pain because of the meds, is it still a good idea to avoid triggers such as chewing, to try and rest the nerve? When I was eating the solid food for dinner, I kind of said to myself "I'm going to be paying for that later". Any thoughts?

I was on 2400 Gabapentin for about 11 months but came off it recently as it was not as effective as when I first started on it. I read that you have to be careful to decrease your dose slowly as stopping suddenly can cause seizures, even in people who have never had a seizure before. I experienced extreme dizziness, headaches and nausea which gradually got better. So please be careful and check with your doctor about varying your dosage.

Apparently chewing is good for the pain as it overloads the nerve. If I have an attack (especially eating) my husband will be yelling at me to chew gum or continue eating if I am eating, it is very painful but it usually will cut the attack short. I don't think the nerve rests at all, it likes to be mean and sneak up on me! :D