Pregnancy and Lyrica

Hi All —

My TN is BACK — not awesome but my new neuro assures me this is just a flair up so I'll just go with that. Quick back story had brain surgery Jan. 2013 — was completely pain free and drug free for about 13 mo. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the past year and I thought I'd try out Clomid (which is a a fertility med that causes ovulation) and we're fairly certain that is what caused me to have a flair up. Anyhow, I'm back on Tegretol and Lyrica and pain free for the most part. In 5 weeks I'm suppose to email my neuro and discuss a plan to wean off of Tegretol (that is if I feel ready to try that) and then I can stay on Lyrica. He assures me that Lyrica is completely safe to take while trying to get pregnant, pregnant, breast feeding etc. However, in my research it is a Class C med — but mostly the case seems to be that there are NO adequate studies.

Has anyone taken Lyrica and gotten pregnant? I'm not sure if my husband or I feel completely comfortable trying to get pregnant again if I am on Lyrica. I will definitely NOT being trying Clomid again. Starting to think adoption is our next step.

Thanks! Hugs, Jess

Hi Jess,
I’m so sorry to hear about your TN pain returning!
Glad the meds are bringing you some relief…
I’m sorry I can’t answer your questions, but I wish you all the best as you go forward.
(( hugs )) Mimi

Hi Jessica... I can't tell you much about Lyrica and pregnancy, but my mum who is suffering from TN was taking Lyrica (and Tegretol) during the last 6 months. These caused her major side effects such as trembling and instability. As a result i tried to find other solutions for her pain relief. I found out about a product from Israel called PainShield which is a device using ultrasound for soothing pain. Our doctors here in Cyprus did not know anything about it... Since I couldn't keep on seeing my mum in this state (I also have to mentioned that she fell down last month due to instability and broke her hip!), I placed an order for one PainShield device. Even though I was skeptical about it since on the internet I received various reviews about this product. Nevertheless, three weeks now on the device my mum is much much better, she stopped Lyrica immediately and she is in the process of limitting the Tegretol as well.

Hopingt this will help, and I wish you all the best. Regards, Yiorgos.