Meds while Pregnant?

Hi friends,
I was just hoping to hear from anyone who has been pregnant while on medication for TN. I have a son who is 2 1/2 but I didn't take any meds while pregnant. It was rough because I had a difficult pregnancy and was very stressed out and was in alot of pain. My husband and I really want to start trying for another baby but I don't think I could get through another pregnancy without some medication. I saw my high risk OBGYN and she said that I would have to come off the Tegretol but could stay on the clonazepam and Effexor. I am in the midst of weaning off the Tegretol now. I still feel very worried about this especially the clonazepam. Has anyone taken any meds for this while pregnant, which ones and did you have any issues with your pregnancy?

Thanks!

Lori

We are looking into surrogacy. Just need a way to pay for it. One of my friend's sisters took Tegretol while pregnant and the baby did have minor birth defects. How long have you taken Tegretol? Has your OB suggested getting your eggs tested before you get pregnant again?

Hi Karri,

I will not be taking Tegretol while pregnant. The only meds I may stay on would be Effexor and Clonazepam occasionally. But even though the high risk doc said this would be ok. I still worry immensly. But I need to be healthy to carry the baby as well so if I am depressed and in lots of pain this could stress the baby out. It is such a hard decision and there just seems to be no right answer. I guess I just have to do what I feel is best for me. I really want to be the one to carry the baby so surrogacy is not for me. Good luck to you and thanks for your reply!

Karri Garza said:

We are looking into surrogacy. Just need a way to pay for it. One of my friend's sisters took Tegretol while pregnant and the baby did have minor birth defects. How long have you taken Tegretol? Has your OB suggested getting your eggs tested before you get pregnant again?

My OB was concerend about the effects of Tegretol on my eggs. I guess it can be a really nasty drug pregnancy wish. When my TN is really bad, I do get relief from Lidocaine which I don't know if its ok while pregnant.

My TN is bad during the winter - I have atypical though. So, if I were to get pregnant, I would do it during the warmer months but I live in TX.

I think if a high risk doctor said ok, then you would be fine. I get relief with Clonazepam alone and lately that is the only thing I have been taking. Maybe you could try to find the smallest dose possible.

Good luck to you! I am sending you healthy baby vibes.

Hi Karri,

Yes that is why I wouldn't chance taking Tegretol while pregnant. My OBGYN said it is really not safe. Plus I don't believe the Tegretol was working all that well on my pain anyway. I have atypical as well. I also use lidocaine gel and I rub it on my gums when the pain is real bad it helps a little. The lidocaine is safe while pregnant. I used it with my first pregnancy.

Funny, you say that clonazepam helps you. I feel that it helps me as well so if I can take it during my pregnancy that would be great. What is your pain like? My pain is on the right side and is a constant deep burning ache in my teeth, gums, face. I don't get the electric shocks that some people describe.

Lori

Karri Garza said:

My OB was concerend about the effects of Tegretol on my eggs. I guess it can be a really nasty drug pregnancy wish. When my TN is really bad, I do get relief from Lidocaine which I don't know if its ok while pregnant.

My TN is bad during the winter - I have atypical though. So, if I were to get pregnant, I would do it during the warmer months but I live in TX.

I think if a high risk doctor said ok, then you would be fine. I get relief with Clonazepam alone and lately that is the only thing I have been taking. Maybe you could try to find the smallest dose possible.

Sometimes it very mild - I called it fuzzies. It feels like when my arm goes to sleep and other times, its sharp electrical pain on my left side. Sometimes its once, sometimes its all day long. I had a really pain week in March and got a shot of lidocaine. And it has to be lidocaine. I take the clonzapam on a as needed basis. I don't take it on a regular basis but now its colder and the pain in more frequent. I did take a tegertol the other day.

Tegertol makes me very sleepy.

Hugs, I wish the best. I know how the feeling to long for another child but have to take drugs that harm your body.

Lori Branco said:

Hi Karri,

Yes that is why I wouldn't chance taking Tegretol while pregnant. My OBGYN said it is really not safe. Plus I don't believe the Tegretol was working all that well on my pain anyway. I have atypical as well. I also use lidocaine gel and I rub it on my gums when the pain is real bad it helps a little. The lidocaine is safe while pregnant. I used it with my first pregnancy.

Funny, you say that clonazepam helps you. I feel that it helps me as well so if I can take it during my pregnancy that would be great. What is your pain like? My pain is on the right side and is a constant deep burning ache in my teeth, gums, face. I don't get the electric shocks that some people describe.

Lori

Karri Garza said: