Pain only in ear

Hello. I have TN and have had it for 2 years. It affects my teeth and gums only. My mother-in-law called tonight and was telling me that over night last night that she woke up with a very intense pain shooting through her right ear. She said that it would come and stop very quick and then in a little bit it would happen again. She said that it felt like someone was taking an ice pick and shoving it into her ear. She also said that she felt some electrical sensations. She said that she thought for sure that she had an ear infection. She went to her dr and they couldn't find anything wrong with her ear. She described her symptoms and the dr immediately said that she has TN. She said that she only has pain in the right ear and no where else. My question is this: can TN only affect one part of the face and no other parts? My TN affects both my upper and lower teeth and gums so the pain is in just more than one part of the face. If there are people reading this that only have pain in their ear, does her symptoms sound correct for TN? Thanks so much for everyone's advice!

Mary

If anyone has any advice or stories to share I would be very greatful!

I too only have pain in my teeth. It seems to be centered under 2 teeth on the bottom right. When it's really bad it also radiates into jaw. It is very frustrating. I have seen multiple doctors with no cause for this pain being found. I am tryng Trileptal. It is helping a little, but I am still getting pain when I talk or eat. Very frustrating!

I am currently taking Lamictal with the generic being Lamotrigine. I have been taking it since November and once it got built up in my system it seems to be doing very well. (Knock on wood!) If the trileptal doesn't help much then maybe you can mention this to your dr and see if he will prescribe it for you. I hate not being able to eat. In the last 3 months I have lost close to 30 pounds! I do need to lose weight but boy this just doesn't seem to be a good way to do it! Hope you feel better soon.

I too have pain in my teeth and gums, and occassionally I get pain in my ear during attacks; it is piercing and stabbing for me. I hope she feels better soon!