Occipital Pain

Hi I’m still learning how to use this line so hope I’m right ,my pain is occipital head pain I think it’s going to explode ,just had Mri scan waiting for results neurologist has put me on Tegretol but it makes me like a zombie but I’m persevering ,does anyone have these headache I was knocked off my moped but that was 15 years ago, I would like to hear from anyone please
Thanks

How long have you been on the tegretol? Its one that takes “some getting used to” Normally you see some results in a few days but it can take several weeks to get past the initial side effects. Frayed nerves develop over a long period of time, and are stubborn little buggers. They are so used to “having their own way” they fight back a bit. Its sort of like dealing with a toddlers tantrums. Nothing worse at the time. But if you look at small moments, it suddenly dawns on you the HEY there are some good moments. Relish them. Eventually there are more and you realize the battle is worth it.

TJ

1 Like

Hi I’ve been on Tegretol for 4 weeks but doses were graduated up every 2 weeks now on week 5 and now on 400 mgs twice a day but I’m making the am time early so as to have more energy by 11am so I’m going to seehow it goes----------

`_**[quote=“Jane7, post:1, topic:12590, full:true”]
Hi I’m still learning how to use this line so hope I’m right ,my pain is occipital head pain I think it’s going to explode ,just had Mri scan waiting for results neurologist has put me on Tegretol but it makes me like a zombie but I’m persevering ,does anyone have these headache I was knocked off my moped but that was 15 years ago, I would like to hear from anyone please
Thanks
[/quote]

**_`

P.[quote=“Jane7, post:1, topic:12590, full:true”]
Thanks
[/quote]

Thanks mod support it good to hear from someone who knows about Tegretol ,have been on this for 19days but regime is 200mgs twice a day for two weeks then 300 am and 200 pm for two weeks now 400 twice a day this has eased the Lightning but makes me feel weak and lazy and I’m floating, still I’m sticking with it and hope to see neurologist soon and get results from Mri scan I’m thinking the worst of course,but I’m just want to know_
How do I send this please

Hi. Occipital pain - not good. I was in Tegretol for two weeks and had massive OP and migraines. The tegretol gave me a horrendous rash and itching as well. With OP, i couldnt stand the pain. Be safe with that med!!

Hello humming bird
After a week of pain and no news from hospital about appointment ,I went to PALS at local hospital and informed Neurologist has left and new one starting soon ,they printed letter for me to take to GP so glad went there but no results of MRI and I see on letter I should of had my ESR done as well so still have to wait for appointment ,my GP is away but I’ve booked in appointment on his return ,so I’m continuing to adjust this Tegretol when I’m pain free and increasing when it returns ,which is unexpected and remains excutiating ,and after medication increase I’m a zombie and giddy weak and useless. But there you are.

I would. Like to hear from anyone please

Hi Jane7,

I would like to see a synopsis of all (or at least the common causes) facial pain conditions on the site, bearing in mind it’s title.

Occipital pain/ occipital neuralgia is a common cause of head and facial pain, usually pain around the eye area (in the case of facial pain) in addition to pain around the base of the skull and upper neck.

The occipital nerves originate at the top of the neck, and irritation of these leads in part, to occipital neuralgia.

As you use the web, I’m sure you’ve researched it, even so two good links:

The main causes from the above would indicate physical stress and or a dis ease process of sorts; not unusual for it to be autoimmune related- do you have any diagnosed autoimmune disorders? With or without autoimmune problems bearing in mind the origin of the occipital nerves being the neck, physical therapy/ advice can often be the answer for management.

The right advice outside of physical therapy might include; posture (very important), stress management (very important), diet advice (very important).

Drugs, whilst they might help you cope are rarely if ever a long term solution, as they don’t address the cause.

Jane, wishing you well.

hi Aiculsamouth
Thanks for answering,there are several possibilitys that cause my pain I was involved in a road traffic accident ,several years ago where I was knocked off my moped and was under a car,also brain tumours run in my family but my mind runs on the rd accident,which is possibly why I need a ESR done ,I am a fit person and into sport which I have stopped this year as head pain excruciating,i had thought about Ciropractise but waiting to hear MRI results which have been held up,so stress is also thought about,anyway thanks for the interesting reading from Boots and Medical centre,like to hear from you again sometime
Jane7