Fàce hurting

Hello, I don't know if I am in the right place for this but I am new and am not sure where I should put this. I saw my doctor last week and he said I hàve Tic pain I can't remember the other name. He could touch places on my face with a cotton ball and get the pain to happen. He gave me a drug Tegratol ànd I t is helping àlot a!most gone now. How long does it take for this medicine to cure this? It is not bad but makes me a little wobbly and things seem to look a little funny or something. It is hard for me to say what it is. Thànk y'all for letting joiñ and for helping me. Mini

My Neurologist referee to it as Tic Duloroux or something like that .I probably should have looked up the spelling before i wrote this!! It's a fancy way of saying Trigeminal Neuralgia. The Tegretol won't cure it unfortunately but should hopefully make like more bearable. The wobbly bit should only last a couple of weeks.

Hi Mini, and welcome to a very supportive group of people. Catwoman has offered you good feedback. Tic Douloureaux or Trigeminal Neuralgia has no medical cure at present. In many ways the disorder is not yet fully understood -- and it may eventually prove to be not one disorder but perhaps two or three. However, the anti-seizure medications like Tegretol are effective for many thousands of people, often for many years. Side effects like unsteadiness on your feet or "mind fog" in your thinking tend to wear off for many folks over a period of a few weeks as you acclimate. Be aware, however, that especially while you are just starting this med, you should have blood work done (liver panel) every three to six months, to check your bone marrow function and Sodium levels. If you eat a lot of grapefruit, be aware that this fruit tends to interrupt the action of Tegretol.

Go in Peace and Power

Red

Hi Mini

So very sorry for the pain your in not sure were you live? But I live in uk and they tend to put you on meds then do head scan ( to see if they can rule out what’s causing it) but it’s good news your responding to tegretol … I know stress can aggravate some forms of TN certainly does in my case … My problem is mechanical so for me a chiropractor helps me loads but we are all different … Incidentally I only join this site yesterday myself and although I’ve had it for many years with many remissions :slight_smile:️ I don’t know too much about the many varieties there seems to be … Mine at present is shooting pains through my lower teeth /jaw feels like electric pulses

With love lynn

Lots of good advice here, but grapefruit does not interrupt the action of Tegretol. It interrupts the action of liver enzymes that metabolize Tegretol. That means that if you consume any grapefruit products, Tegretol levels can rise. It’s recommended to avoid grapefruit altogether since the extent that this occurs is unpredictable. The same thing applies to certain cholesterol medications.

Richard A. “Red” Lawhern said:

Hi Mini, and welcome to a very supportive group of people. Catwoman has offered you good feedback. Tic Douloureaux or Trigeminal Neuralgia has no medical cure at present. In many ways the disorder is not yet fully understood – and it may eventually prove to be not one disorder but perhaps two or three. However, the anti-seizure medications like Tegretol are effective for many thousands of people, often for many years. Side effects like unsteadiness on your feet or “mind fog” in your thinking tend to wear off for many folks over a period of a few weeks as you acclimate. Be aware, however, that especially while you are just starting this med, you should have blood work done (liver panel) every three to six months, to check your bone marrow function and Sodium levels. If you eat a lot of grapefruit, be aware that this fruit tends to interrupt the action of Tegretol.

Go in Peace and Power

Red

Hello toothache, I don't like grapefruit but thank you for letting me know how smart you are.