New here and looking for any advice and information!

Hello I’m new here and just recently bin diagnosed with tn…im only 26 and I’ve suffered with the pain for longer though. I get about 2 months of pain each year and then it goes for a while but I heard the time in between gets shorter? I get the pain mainly in my ophthalmic nerve on the left side…the sharp shooting aching pain and it rly gets me down. Just this last week or so I’ve had what resembles a heartbeat in my left ear…has anyone else experienced this or know if it could be connected to my tn? Like I say any advice is welcomed, it’s rly disheartening to think I have to live with this for the rest of my life so support from people who understand will be lovely. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Lauren, I’m new to this site too. I’m so sorry that you have this horrible illness. I wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy! I have Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia and I’m only 24. So I definitely know how you feel about being so young and having to accept the fact that there is no cure and we’ll probably have this forever. I’ve realized now more than ever how important it is to support and communicate with each other. I’m still trying to figure out how to cope, and come to terms with being in chronic pain. I’m here if you ever want to vent and talk! You’re not alone in this!

-Michelle

Hi Lauren and Michelle,

I two am in my 20s, 25 and new to this site. I was diagnosed earlier this year and am currently in my second flare up as I call it. This one is lasting much longer than the last. Actually it’s lasting so long and the pain is there so much that I’m starting to think it’s atypical and probably won’t go away this time around. My pain is mostly around my ear, jaw and teeth, I get headaches two. Stabbing headaches. But when I get an few minutes relief it feels like a heart beat instead of pain in my left ear. It doesn’t last very long tho. It’s like throbbing, but painless. I’m struggling as well with the diagnosis, big time. I keep saying it’s a very bad ear infection or maybe a wisdom tooth and the neurologist is wrong that h read the mri wrong, which he couldn’t, cos there was nothing there, but I’ll come to terms eventually.

Here for either of ye if ye need to talk. It’s nice to see I’m not the only 20 something year old out there with it.

Suzi

Hi Lauren,

Curious as to what sets off your pain? Is it seasonal?

Last winter I had terrible flare ups daily in the Opthamalic nerve. So painful with a lot of cluster and migraine symptoms. Some people find relief with migraine meds like Triptans for those sort of flare ups.

I was diagnosed in my 20's as well though I am 39 now.

I found a lot of relief with acupuncture and physio for a neck issue. I am going to see a cranial osteopath this week as I do belief that my facial pain and neck problems are connected.

The "heart beat" in your left ear I have experienced, also tinnitus. You should look up Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia and Geniculate Neuralgia to see if you have any of those symptoms. I have symptoms of all of them and of Occipital Neuralgia as well.

Are you on meds? Have you found any relief?

Jane

Can you hear the heartbeat, like a whooshing sound? If so, it's called pulsatile tinnitus- but that's another condition where the cause isn't understood, and limited treatment... a common cause is increased pressure inside the brain. If you look at whooshers.com there's info on there if it's really annoying.

I really think you might benefit from reading, http://www.livingwithtn.org/page/cervogenic-model on this site.