Neurontin

So I started neurontin today and Im starting just one pill for 3 days, then 2 pills for 3 days, and then a pill every 8 hours. I felt a little loopy today and my face is still bothering me. I know it will take time to have an affect. I was wondering if anyone who is taking it could let me know if the loopy feeling will go away and how long it took for it to have any positive results on getting the symptoms of Atypical TN to fade away. I work in the medical field and if the side effects from the pills wont go away there is no way I can stay on them. I will have to talk to my doctor about another option. Im not ready to take the leap into having any procedures done as of yet so are there any other options?

Hi,

I too got started on Neurontin, but much more. You should get used to that much up until the every 8 hour mark. After that feeling loopy after that might be a problem. Every body is different and you will respond different than I did. I finaly had to go on Tegrotol not so much for the loopy...but for the pain. But I was able to function better too. I finally got to the point where I had to have the surgery. In fact...this past monday morning. Oh my god...no pain. I'm a guy but I cried when I was able to eat with no pain.

Hang in there and make sure you are seeing a Neurologist, this can be an aweful beast to fight.

Just my thoughts

Each time I went up a dose I got the loopy feeling but for me it went away within a few days. I actually Had better luck with trileptal for pain and the first time i took it was at night and it might have made me a little tired but not loopy. If your side effects dont go away, ask about Trileptal if you haven't taken it already. Good Luck! :)

Shanday, Neurontin is my TN drug of choice. It is kinder to me than anything else I have tried. It only becomes pain effective at 1500mg+ for me but other members need more or less. It does not make me loopy, but I don't climb ladders or stand on chairs anymore! It has a fairground type effect on some people but I only feel it if I bend or turn my head too quickly. Most members say they acclimate quicker on this than say Tegretol. We care all different. I hope it kicks in for you soon.

Hi Shanday,

I hope it kicks in for you soon, too! I take Neurotin in combination with Baclofen and I don't know what I'd do without them. I take 2400 mg. a day and no less than that amount seems to help. I try decreasing it and always end up back on 2400 mg. I don't experience the loopy feeling with Neurontin....just with the Baclofen.

Please keep us updated on how you're feeling, ok?

~ Vicki

Thank you to all of you for helping me through this and your kind words. Im hopeful it will be successful but no luck as of yet. I start on thursday taking them every 8 hours and Im a little nervous because Im still loopy from the meds only taking two a day. Hopefully it will go away and so will my symptoms. I wish all the best for all of you and hope they can find a for sure cure for us all.

I wanted to let yall know my symptoms did not get any relief and the side effects from the pill were just to much for me. I thought about it and decided it would be best for me to stop taking neurontin. It was affecting my work and personal life way to much. I have a follow up appointment on the 21st so I will discuss this with my doctor and start looking at other options. So for now I'm going to continue learning hope to cope with Atypical TN on my own with out the help of meds. Thank you to all of you fro the amazing support I have received it means a lot to me.

I was just prescribed Neurontin yesterday by my Neurologist. I am already on another anti-seizure medication, Depakote ER, and she felt that would be the best drug to mix. However, I was also supposed to wean myself on the medicine like you, but I was only able to take one pill yesterday at the end of the day after I picked up the script and today I've had to take 3 because the pain was so intense. I feel a little dizzy, but other than that the side effects, like being tired, have not hit me. I wish the fatigue would hit...the pain is the only reason I am still up at 5:36am. Best of luck to you.

I have been on neurotin for several years. It took my body 2 - 3 weeks to start to get used to the dosage. I didn't drive for that period of time until I was certain I was fine. Your body should acclimate to it with enough time.