Medical insurance and TN

I know that medical insurance schemes probably vary.. But I was wondering whether any of you have trouble getting medical insurance to cover their TN?

What exactly are you referring to: coverage of medications, injections, diagnostic testing, therapies, doctor's visits?

One issue I encountered was my insurance denying to pay for nerve blocks and Botox injections that my neurologist wanted me to do. I was eventually given the go ahead by my insurance but only after months of appeals. (On one occasion it took 4 appeals for me to finally get the ok for a nerve block.) My insurance also wanted to dictate what medication my neurologist should have been prescribing. That was resolved by the doctor calling them and explaining that I had already tried all the medications they were recommending. Interestingly enough, I had no issue whatsoever getting approved for my MVD. They actually approved it very quickly.

In my case I am referring to medication and doctor's visits. They ( by they I mean the insurance people) have categorised my case as chronic and are refusing to cover further doctor's visits and medication.

That's just terrible. If it's chronic it means it's ongoing and therefore you need further treatment. I am sorry that that is happening to you.

Well, my doctor has prescribed me 400mg Tegretol for next three months. He says that after that he wants to see me again so that we can evaluate how well I'm doing and whether we need to continue with the same dosage or even decrease a little. I had not expected the insurance people to make such a fuss :/

I have been on treatment six months already.

I havnt had any problems with visits yet (primary care, neurologist, neurosurgeon). Yet may be my key word. I am switching insurance by the end of this month and am looking at MVD as an option after the fact.... here's to hoping masshealth works!

I have insurance coverage through my work and my husband's work. We began paying for both plans two years ago in anticipation of a future MVD. Usually there is a pre-existing clause where they won't pay until a certain period of time has passed. I had planned my MVD for this coming summer because of the major changes coming in the US healthcare system. I was concerned that I would lose many of the freedoms we currently have in making our own healthcare decisions. I ended up having my MVD this past January and everything was covered completely. Also, all doctor/surgeon visits were covered with a small copay of $20.00 each. My Tegretol was usually a $5.00 copay.

It was worth paying the extra premium for my husband's insurance every month because the MVD alone was over $65,000. I realize we were very lucky to have the opportunity to purchase such good insurance, but planning ahead really paid off for us.

brownkat