Lmeds for TN

I am currently on 1000mg of carbamazepine and they just raised my dose of neurontin to 900mg per day. Seems like alot and I feel like I'm buzzed all the time.

That buzzed sensation is common, CGH. The med that is most likely to give you side effects in sedation, of the two that you name, is probably Carbamazepine. You may want to talk with your neurologist about re-balancing your meds to increase the Neurontin and lower the Carbamazepine dose. Alternately, Trileptal is somewhat better tolerated by a lot of people. Suggest you or a family member read the medications section of our "Face Pain Info" tab, to further explore the options.

Thanks for responding. The doc increased the neurontin yesterday to 900mg from 600mg but have been taking the other med at 1000mg per day without the buzzed feeling. As long as I can avoid surgery as have already been down that path about 4 years ago and now it's back again.

I know what you mean. I also have MS. The meds I am on for MS are...

Neurontin 600mg 2 pills/3Xday

Copaxone injections daily

Cymbalta 60mg 1 pill/1Xday

Amitryptline 100mg 1 pill/qXday

Klonapin .5mg as needed

Baclofen 10mg 1pill/2Xday (orally) I also have Baclfen in a pump inside my abdomen that delivers to my spinal column.

Meds I was on for TN...

Indomethacin 50mg 1 pill/3Xday

Keppra 750mg 1pill/2Xday

Oxcarbazepine 300mg/2Xday

Topamax 25mg 1pill am/2 pills pm

The meds for TN made me a zombie. My husband had to rush me to the hospital because I was unresponsive.

Cindy, you are on one heck of a lot of meds. Your Neurontin is maxed out, and there is significant overlap in effects for some of the other meds. I am truly surprised that anyone would prescribe Indomethacin for TN pain. That med is an NSAID used in controlling inflammation, and TN is for the most part not an inflammatory disorder. The med is known to be associated with peptic ulcers and lithium retention.

If you are still taking all of these meds, then I would strongly suggest that you schedule a medication review with your neurologist, to assess for interactions.

I am also on Indomethicin. Mine was prescribed for my Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicrania an Indomethicin Responsive Headache. I find that it also helps with my TN, Fibromyalgia and Peripheral Neuropathies. It alone will not take care of any of them and does do the most for the CPH. I find there is such an overlap in symptoms of all of this (including my Spondolythesis with Sciatica), that its difficult to see where one begins and the next ends. I am also on Celebrex. The combination of the two of these have the potential of really being a risk for stomach bleeding. So far I seem to have a cast Iron stomach but am ALWAYS looking for other solutions. As of now there is nothing that can replace the Indomethicin for the Headache Disorder. The fact that it works is actually diagnostic of the headache disorder.

I'm with Red about his concern. If your doc can find a more appropriate med than the Indomethicin that may be less toxic I would be less concerned. Then again all of this crap is toxic to some level. I like so many of you can't function without my meds but feel that they are what will actually be the death of me some day.

I have stopped taking all the meds. I contacted my neurologist for my MS and he set me up with a neurosurgeon that specializes in TN. I had a percutaneous radiofrequency thermorhizotomy the following day. I have since fired my neurologist that helps with pain.

Cindy, you need to talk with a physician TODAY. Rapid withdrawal from some of the medications you have been taking, can cause seizures. Go to the nearest Urgent Care Center if you can't talk with your family doctor. And DO NOT LET THIS WAIT UNTIL MONDAY, please...

Regards, Red

I only quit taking the meds for my TN, except for the Oxcarbazepine. My doctor is slowly getting me off of it. As for the other meds for TN, my doctor just said to quit taking them. I was on them for less than a week. I would never stop taking a drug without discussing it with my doctor first. I should have made myself a little more clear. Sorry.

Thanks for closing the loop on this, Cindy. We cannot assume that all of the members are informed or inclined to take reasonable precautions when changing meds. For that reason among others, the moderators and administrators here at Living With TN are particularly careful to remind pain patients that they should coordinate changes in meds with a medical professional, rather than taking an initiative on their own which may be poorly or simply incompletely informed.

Feel free to stick around and participate.

Go in Peace and Power

Red