Interesting study

http://exodontia.info/files/J_Oral_Pain_2003._Pharmacologic_Interventions_in_the_Treatment_of_TM_Disorders_Atypical_Facial_Pain_BMS._A_Qualitative_Systematic_Review.pdf
I have not reviewed it completely, but it seems like it might have some good info

Very interesting Ellen, but the could have just talked to us for the same conclusion! The people on this site are amazing.

Yes you are. And Ellen5 and … and … and …

They mention mersyndol-which many people have not heard of.Things like that.
And it is always nice to read about double blind studies instead of individual experience.
No one would go on the drugs if they talked only to me.

what do you mean about not going on drugs for TN? How do you cope?

Hi
Not sure where I said that?
maybe the video?
I would be dead without the codeine.

My wife, a long time sufferer of TN, is off all drugs most of the time. She had the vascular decompression surgery, which worked for 8 months, then went back on drugs, but had to increase dosages so quickly in order to get any relief that she realized she would have to find another option. Now she focuses almost exclusively through stress and diet management. Every case is different, and what works for one does not work for another. However, she has come to a place where life is very, very livable by keeping stress down, avoiding any foods that cause pain flair ups, lots of grateful prayers, and very occasionally, when stress hits due to one of lifes unavoidable experiences, she will take some meds, but weens off them as quickly as possible again, usually a three to four days.

Hi Sean
I am so glad that your wife has a great support system (you)to help muffle
all the stress that we get in daily life.I am soo,so happy when people say
things are working.Give me hope. Right now the stressors in my life have
increased,and having a new doctor wanting to switch things up(or down) has
not made it one bit better
But happy that you both have found a balance.

Keep working at it, there is always hope. It has taken her years of persistent effort in order to get where she is now, and an enormous amount of trial and error. There were long, dark seasons where we struggled with crushing fears for the future, unable to comprehend how there would ever by joy again. There are still challenging days, but her quality of life is far better than we ever would have thought possible back when all seemed hopeless. Like many, there was a time when she questioned if life would be worth living, but discovery by discovery, small incremental step by small incremental step, she learned what her triggers were, immediate and delayed, and made life style changes accordingly. She’s had to give some things up; she’s a foodie, but made peace with the fact that many foods cause her TN to worsen and that she would have to forgo them. During particularly bad seasons she goes days eating nothing but oatmeal and squash. It’s decisions like that which have added up to a vastly better life. And we believe that, at some future day, her body will be whole once more. Again, that is her story, and what has worked specifically for her may not work for anyone else, but the theme of patient self-discovery I hope can help anyone.

What kind of food triggers?

1 Like

Thanks Sean
too many tears to say it right.
Thank You

I do not know where I said food triggers.
I do not eat enough for there to be a trigger.
Have top force food in me if not in the early AM before I am truly awake
Wish me luck,or Godsend or something for tomorrow.
Do not want to end up in the psych ward with my tears

She has found that any kind of additives or chemicals are a major trigger. Even eating fruits and vegetables she is cautious, as many of them have been treated with pesticides and preservatives. Processed foods are a no go. If she puts something in her mouth and it triggers a pain, she doesn’t eat it, then or later. She did a good deal of research on foods that feed viruses, and avoids those. Also important to note, improvement didn’t happen all at once, but gradually as weeks and then months went on. An enormous amount of patience and discipline have been required.

Sean1,

I rarely get emotional, but reading your post, I am. I would like to think folk reading this post would take a lot from it. The trial, the we’re together in this, we’re married, I’m here for you, and the small incremental steps, and I appreciate the journey. It shouts love. In addition to thinking outside of the box. I wish this for everyone on here.

I think you and your wife, all the best, and hope other folk struggling have, nurture the same relationship you have, be it wife, friend or any family member.

Wishing you all the well in the world.

Sean it sounds like those all overlap with migrated triggers, has she been checked for migraine as a root cause? Maybe tried migraine meds? Sometimes sumatripan can interrupt a flare.

When my boss retired to Florida my pain got better. I also use B12 now also. So was it the boss or B12? Who knows and who cares, I feel better. I only take one pill a day now. Good luck to you.

That’s great news! For my wife, I think stress reduction has played an enormous role. Sounds like it’s helped you out as well.